Question about raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all, I see online that you can purchase organic sun dried raisins and no oil is added. $5.00 lb. a little steep but I do want to try a recipe or two on here that calls for them.
Never had any luck making my own yeast but have made grape wine without yeast added several times. mostly good results I suppose. I prefer to use the campden tablets and add my own. I only grow so much and want to control the outcome.

Donkeys years ago, the Romans used to float oil on top of their wines, but that was because they had no efficient way of sealing their jars. They reckon it did the trick, but they only did it to make it last until the next harvest.
One old-fashioned way of getting rid of some of the oil, would be to gently drag some paper towel across the surface of the wine. It's a risk of oxidation though unless the wine is still fermenting.

As Dawg says, THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOTTLE. One solution might be to rack the last of the wine into a separate I/2 gallon jar. Use that wine for cooking, a bit of oil mixed in with it shouldn't make that much of a difference, especially if it's organic oil.
Regards to all.

Back