Punching the Cap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xriddle

Reaction score
What do you guys use to punch the cap. I've been using my hands but its so messy and im always worried i haven't wasted sanitized my hands properly. How delicate is must? I assume if my hands are not perfectly clean i can introduce bacteria or something?

What do you guys use to punch the cap. I've been using my hands but its so messy and im always worried i haven't wasted sanitized my hands properly. How delicate is must? I assume if my hands are not perfectly clean i can introduce bacteria or something?

For home wine making, several sites sell what looks like a giant potato masher. That's what I use. You can use a real potato masher, a sanitized 2 by 4 or most anything that will do the job. The must is not delicate unless you are fermenting whole clusters or doing something like carbonic maceration.

I show my purple stained hands as a badge of pride! :)

Actually I usually use the large stainless steel potato masher too. Or a large wooden spatula that I have.

So my if my hands touch a door handle or something it cant kill the wine? Will the alcohol kill anything potentially living on my hands?

My Italian born dad's been making "Russian Roulette" wine for 30+ years and I doubt he even washed his hands at all. LOL

Last edited:
So my if my hands touch a door handle or something it cant kill the wine? Will the alcohol kill anything potentially living on my hands?

My Italian born dad's been making "Russian Roulette" wine for 30+ years and I doubt he even washed his hands at all. LOL

One should always wash and sanitize one's hand before handling wine or anything that will touch the wine. Alcohol can kill many things, but some bacteria enjoy the wine more than you do. That's why we add the sulfites.

Another concern. You can get drunk via osmosys. In other words, alcohol can soak through your skin.

I use a SS punchdown tool.

I don't think you could transfer enough wine through the tough skin of your hands to bother you, but a potato masher works great for smaller batches.

Latest posts

Back