primary stage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krhamm

Reaction score
Curious to know does any one leave their hydrometer and/or floating thermometer in the must the whole time while in the primary stage? Or do you leave it out each time after taking a reading and sanitize it before placing in the must the next day?

I have heard of people doing that but why would you? It takes 10 seconds to rinse off and sanitize. I would need ten different hydrometers if I kept one in each primary during season. To me it would be like leaving your socks on when you go to bed so you don't have to put em back on in the morning. Bart would do this..oh never mind!

I take mine out each time as well but i've also seen some people leaves their's in on other websites.

Curious to know does any one leave their hydrometer and/or floating thermometer in the must the whole time while in the primary stage? Or do you leave it out each time after taking a reading and sanitize it before placing in the must the next day?

Ehhh.....................

When not doing tests for my web-log I never measure SG during fermentation.

Even worse I never even measure when the wine is finished.

In my long career of winemaking I never have seen any purpose in this.
Unless there is something wrong with the wine.

Just let nature have its way and have patience.

Luc

Well to tell you the truth.. I leave my hydrometer in the primary. I don't take it out. I have mutiples so it is not an issue. Also I don't have more that 3 primarys going at one time like some other people do.... (I won't mention any names) hehehe Oh and by the way DAN I take my socks off at night... LOL

Well to tell you the truth.. I leave my hydrometer in the primary. I don't take it out. I have mutiples so it is not an issue. Also I don't have more that 3 primarys going at one time like some other people do.... (I won't mention any names) hehehe Oh and by the way DAN I take my socks off at night... LOL

animated_gif_005_shenzi_laughing.gif

Latest posts

Back