primary got to 1.000 SG before secondary! ACK!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

still_dreamin

Reaction score
hi all

i've got a 5 gallon batch of blackberry wine on the go. the juice naturally was at 1.026 SG, and i chaptalized it up to 1.090. after three days in my primary fermenter, this had dropped to 1.024 which was great!

it was my understanding that at 1.010 that one racks into the secondary fermenter. however, over 24hrs my wine went from 1.024 to 0.999! it seems i missed my window!

in the interest of discarding the pulp and lees, and as it seems the best way forward, i have racked into my secondary (a glass carboy w/ airlocked bung) regardless, but i am now at a loss of what to do next.

my understanding was if transferred to the secondary a 1.010, it would be several weeks before i reached 0.999... but im already there. should i continue the bulk secondary ferment even if fermentation has mostly died off, as a means of stabilizing? the airlock isn't visibly bubbling, although some bubbles have appeared in the sanitizer-solution im using in it... i guess i'd describe it as minimal bubbling at best??

any advice out there? is it time for campden tablets and bottling? or should i let it sit a few weeks in the secondary regardless of a specific gravity of 0.999

suggests would be most appreciated!!!

There is no fixed number that tells you when to rack.
The number 1.010 or 1.020 originates from kit winemaking but has nothing to do with any other winemaking technique.

When using pure juice you should rack to a carboy when the wine has ceased fermenting vigorously. The reason you put it in a primary is only to have headspace for foaming and to enter some ait in the juice.

When using pulp you should transfer and press afther a few days depending on the pulp.

At this moment you should put it under airlock as soon as possible to prevent oxidation.
You should read this story about pulp-fermenting:
http://www.wijnmaker.blogspot.nl/2011/04/pulpgisten-deel-7-pulpfermenting-part-7.html

Luc

Althogh a bit fast, what you have done is perfectly normal. Don't worry about it at all. It may bubble a bit for a few days. Keep it at about 68-72 degrees F and it will finish up perfectly.

thankyou everyone for your advice!

if i understand the wisdom here correctly, i should leave my wine in the airlocked carboy for a couple weeks as planned regardless of the SG. this will allow for bulk stabilizing before bottling, and the co2 trapped by the airlock should prevent spoilage.

excellent. that is a relief.

also, luc, i read your article on adding peptic enzyme a day or two before taking the initial SG reading. this makes complete sense and is a method i'll definitely be adopting in future! thanks again!

If you didn't already pitch the lees out of the primary, start a batch of skeeter pee on top of them. If you have never had any of it, you will probably be glad you did. Arne.

Back