Preferred size of bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had unlimited supplies of clean bottles, which would you use?

• 1.5 L (magnum)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 750 mL (standard)

• 375 mL (half bottle)

• 187 mL (smallest George carries)

• Other sizes - please identify

• Total voters

Bartman

Reaction score
Different wines call for different size bottles, of course (for example, port/sherry is usually preferred in smaller sizes), but I'm interested in seeing what everyone would use if cost and availability were not concerns. Multiple votes are allowed, so you can describe how you would use them in different circumstances.

Personally, I think I would use mostly 375 mL bottles, with a few 1.5 L bottles for big family dinners and a few 750 mL to give away as gifts.

Bart Reeder

I would make lots more wine if I did not have to bottle!
I would put everything into kegs (ok more then I do now) and only bottle for gifts and special occasions. I know not very romantic but kegs take up less room and as long as I can tap into them and get a variety I'm happy. And lazy
smiley20.gif
vc

I would bottle everything in Belissima bottles as they just fit into racks better and stack really nice, they look awesome to!

Vcasey, I suppose you could just cork the carboy and dress it up like a regular wine bottle. SUPER MAGNUM

vcasey said:
I would make lots more wine if I did not have to bottle!
I would put everything into kegs (ok more then I do now) and only bottle for gifts and special occasions. I know not very romantic but kegs take up less room and as long as I can tap into them and get a variety I'm happy. And lazy
smiley20.gif
vc

X2, I hate to bottle.

I didn't read the question properly - if availability and cost were not an issue I would use those gorgeous dark bellissima bottles. I clicked 750ml because that's what I do have access to, and it's not the bottling that I mind so much but using the smaller bottles I do have (recycled beer and pry-off top pop bottles) I get annoyed using the crown capper (and hm, not trust to be able to cork them even with a #7)

I had to look up what the "bellissima" bottle was, since I had never heard that name before, but I have salvaged a couple of those bottles and like them (even though I didn't have a name for them). It never occurred to me that they would stack or fit better in a wine rack, in bulk, until Wade mentioned it. When I googled the name, I found an article that said wineries hate using them because of the difficulties and hazards they pose (?), customers generally like them, and the marketing folks love them, because they usually stand out.

We bottle our 6 gallon batches like this... 24 750ml and the rest in 375ml splits. We like the splits because they are great for tasting... You don't have to open a big bottle just to find out it's not ready. People are always asking for our wines. Some you just don't feel like giving to. Give them a split. For gifts... make up a sample basket with the splits. They love 'em!

Back