Pre-emergent safe for vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeman

Reaction score
Are there any pre emergent products to keep weeds down that are safe for vineyards?

I use Matrix for pre-emergent grasses and broadleaves. The vines need to be a couple years old because it can affect the hair roots. I combine with a roundup and spray at the same time before the vines begin growth in the spring. It keeps the area under the vines fairly clear. Matrix is expensive with a bottle of granules a couple hundred or so but it covers 10 acres. There are other sprays also available but this one works well for me.

A lawn mower and a weed wacker is a good choice after bud break

A weed whacker is a good way to kill vines if they aren't protected. Just a little close and the vine gets girdled and will die.

A weed whacker is a good way to kill vines if they aren't protected. Just a little close and the vine gets girdled and will die.

Yes very, very true, I was just under the impression and assumed(that bad word) that everyone would and should be proficient and know your limits when using all tools, especially power tools. :h

I can't tell you all the times I have had others complain that perfectly healthy vines just up and died for no good reason. You check the area near the base and the vine is girdled. You ask if they use a weed whacker and of course most of them do. All it takes is a bit of a slip , and oooops...........

Also the original poster asked what pre-emergent is safe for use in a vineyard. While all these other replies suggest alternatives, that's not the question that was asked.

Back