Potassium metabisulfite before bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefrommichigan

Reaction score
So the time is approaching to bottle 4 of the WinExpert kits I have made, 2 red and 2 white, that I started in February. They have been aging about 3 months in a carboy, but now I need the space the carboys are taking up to make some more wine and I feel it is easier for me to store cases of bottles than carboys.

I also added a ¼ t/spn of potassium metabisulfite during the last racking approx 3 months ago. I intend leaving the bottles for another 6 months before drinking, occasionally opening a 375ml bottle to try the wine.

So my question is, should I add any more potassium metabisulfite before bottling?

Thanks
Mike

Yes I would. Not knowing what your ppm's due to not being able to test, I would error on the side of safe. Even if it was right on at this point, you'll being blowing some free S02 off during bottling.

I agree with Dan
Every 3 months you typically should rack and add a1/4 tsp of sulfite anyways. So I would add a 1/4 tsp and rack and then bottle

Thanks Dan and Steve. After I rack and add the 1/4 tspn, can I bottle right away or should I wait for a few days?

Go ahead and bottle, then let the bottles sit and rest for a few weeks or month before drinking. That's my take. Cheers, Gary

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back