Post your labels here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, Rob. I really like the simpler labels...although I can't seem to stick with them myself. :)

ok here is first run wine label

I am Iron Man
Seriously does it work does it not
I have looked at this so much I am error blind
Thanks
PS should I register the winery and wine name ?
Or is it implied once I create them
Thanks

NINE_CROWS.jpg

Here's a good link to some insight about corporate, trade and brand names for wineries:

http://www.csa-compliance.com/html/CSA-Articles/rules-of-the-winery-name-game.html

The TTB will not give a new permit to a trade name that is already filed with them but it is not a guarantee. Trademarking is always a good thing to do if you are worried about someone else using your trademarks but is not absolutely necessary. For the winery name you will have to create a corporation or sole proprietor DBA with your state, so you should be ok in the state.

You can find a list of all TTB permitted wineries here (on the lower left of the page):

http://www.ttb.gov/foia/frl.shtml

As for your label, I like the picture a lot! I am a minimalist so to me the label looks crowded and cluttered. And I have a hard time reading your winery name at the top. But that could be just me. The most readable and noticeable thing on the label is the year. It is the largest clearest text. Is that what you want people to see first when they look at your label? I would think about putting the most important thing you want to convey as the largest most readable text. Perhaps your winery name or the varietal. Nobody is going to buy a year necessarily. The warning about shellfish seems unnecessary if you will use the label commercially because you can't use shellfish based fining agents in commercial production. The TTB has a provisional approval for the use of fungal-based chitosan at the moment.

Last edited:
I agree with removing the warning about shellfish.
We would use Post Bentonite and fine filtering prior to aging
for commercial or donated wines.
I have never tried Sparkalloid . What is another method to use that you know of
Thanks

I rarely use fining agents myself. Time, gravity and in some cases (mostly whites or lighter wines) a polish filtration before bottling.

I am Iron Man
Thanks
Thanks

You're placing two photos on top of each other. Unless you're a very skilled photoshopper this will never look good.

I see 3 options to make the label look better:

1) remove the vineyard in the background and place the tree more to the center.
2) remove the tree in the foreground and just have the 9 crows flying over the vineyard.
3)Abstract the vineyard in the background to a vector-graphic or a 2-color bitmap (in the brown tones of the background for example) so you're not having 2 photos on top of each other any more

As you're going commercial, I'd make sure to have the copyright of the pictures you're using.

Last edited:
will try all three and see what looks better

You're placing two photos on top of each other. Unless you're a very skilled photoshopper this will never look good.

I see 3 options to make the label look better:

1) remove the vineyard in the background and place the tree more to the center.
2) remove the tree in the foreground and just have the 9 crows flying over the vineyard.
3)Abstract the vineyard in the background to a vector-graphic or a 2-color bitmap (in the brown tones of the background for example) so you're not having 2 photos on top of each other any more

Will be back in a few
thanks

I am Iron Man
Thanks
Thanks
Art is so subjective, I don't see anything wrong with the image as long as you like it and it communicates what you want. Although the cigar band hump on the top and bottom may be doing more harm than good since it takes up space on an already crowded label, and might need more space between it and text to look natural.

Design on the other hand is a little less subjective (just a little bit). My suggestion would be to add a back label so you can use that space for some of the text; the label looks a little cluttered. Or simplify your image and make it smaller so there's more room. Also, the date being visually larger than the name throws me off a bit. The fading bars on top are nice, but at the expense of making your name smaller (and they may add "un-balance" to the design since there's nothing else like them in the design).

Ok here are two labels

I removed most of the stuff recommended in this thread
Now my wife decides she wanted something different.
So which one is better to use and what still remain a problem
Thanks

label_a_Darkharvest.jpg

label_b_darkharvest.jpg

Why are "Plums," "Blackberries," "Cherries," and "Wine" capitalized? Why is there a period after "Plums"? Why isn't there a comma after "Blackberries"? Why is "2014" printed in the largest font on the page?

From where does the Merlot "bring out" these aromas? How about:

Nine Crows Merlot features the aromas of ripe plums, luscious blackberries, and tart cherries. This dark, sensuous wine pairs well with pastas, roasted meats, and ripe cheeses, making it a favorite choice for everyday enjoyment.

Latest posts

Back