Post your labels here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgive my nitpicking , but I'm a bit in the mood of criticising ;)

First of all I like the vintage look, the patterns and the barrels.

But: Then you use texts with transparent shadow effects. I doubt that these effects existed back in the old days and it breaks with the vintage look!

You also use far too many different fonts for my taste: I count 8 fonts. or is it even 9? and a lot of different colors and effects and sizes. I think if you reduced the number of fonts to 3 or 4 it would improve the overall look of your label significantly.

Blumentopferde, First off I would like to say I picked up a lot of excellent pointers from you from the last couple of posts and they make a lot of sense. Can I ask what your background is that you have the knowledge to pick out all of the detailed comments you made. In the future when I make a label I would love to hear your comments. I might not agree or like what I hear but I'll respect you opinion.

Keep in mind most of us are amateurs with limited computer skills and software but always striving to do better. Please keep comments coming in a respectable way.

Blumentopferde, First off I would like to say I picked up a lot of excellent pointers from you from the last couple of posts and they make a lot of sense. Can I ask what your background is that you have the knowledge to pick out all of the detailed comments you made. In the future when I make a label I would love to hear your comments. I might not agree or like what I hear but I'll respect you opinion.

Keep in mind most of us are amateurs with limited computer skills and software but always striving to do better. Please keep comments coming in a respectable way.

Neither I am a professional, but I come from the architecture field so I have a lot to do with graphical design - creating posters and powerpoint presentations are just part of the game.

I'm sorry of I was too harsh, it's always hard to put criticism in a way that it hits the point but not the recipient!

I want to recommend you some tools that might come in handy for a non-professional:
- GIMP: it's an open source image editor similar to photoshop
- INKSCAPE: It's an open source vector editor similar to illustrator
- kuler.adobe.com: it's a web based color wheel, that helps you find matching
colors and gives you a huge number of predefined color sets
- colorexplorer or similar sites: helps you to create color sets from images
- font and vector databases: check out the web for free font and vector libraries, you'll find a lot of material to work with!

Blumentopferde, I often find myself wanting to match a color in my lable (border most often) to my capsule color. But it's very hard to get a close match on my monitor. I have even tried asking the capsule manufacturers the color codes but they play dumb. I once took a capsule to a paint shop but they could only give me their mix recipe for the color. Any advice?

Neither I am a professional, but I come from the architecture field so I have a lot to do with graphical design - creating posters and powerpoint presentations are just part of the game.

I'm sorry of I was too harsh, it's always hard to put criticism in a way that it hits the point but not the recipient!

I want to recommend you some tools that might come in handy for a non-professional:
- GIMP: it's an open source image editor similar to photoshop
- INKSCAPE: It's an open source vector editor similar to illustrator
- kuler.adobe.com: it's a web based color wheel, that helps you find matching
colors and gives you a huge number of predefined color sets
- colorexplorer or similar sites: helps you to create color sets from images
- font and vector databases: check out the web for free font and vector libraries, you'll find a lot of material to work with!
Hey, good stuff. I already use GIMP, but I'll give Inkscape a try.
Of course, my own design labels are sub-par amateur....or I copy another design I've found.

I normally start from scratch using Photoshop, but I wanted to try Grogtag. I used one of their templates and uploaded my own photo and text. Their online design software is pretty easy to use and they have several labels if you don't want to add your own image. For the price, $23 with shipping after 10% coupon for 24 labels it's not a bad deal. (Search for a coupon code an you will find one.) I got 10% off. You get both front and back labels, they are waterproof and come off like a dream. Bonus; they are re-positionable and re-usebale if you want.

This is an Angel Banco kit from WE I renamed. I wish you could have seen my husbands face when I handed him a bottle of wine named after our Jeep. Priceless.

0FD40D8B-D307-46C0-BB9B-7E224A903151.jpg

0BA72600-C146-4328-8F39-2F4E9D8C1137.jpg

Tony, since you probably don't have a color calibrated monitor or printer here is a low tech "cheat" that will get you close. Use what ever program you use for your labels and draw a bunch of boxes in a grid layout. Color each box separately in tones close to the shrink cap you want to use. Print out the one sheet and pick your closest color or modify and try again. Something like this would get you close.
Mike

Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 8.24.46 AM.png

I normally start from scratch using Photoshop, but I wanted to try Grogtag. I used one of their templates and uploaded my own photo and text. Their online design software is pretty easy to use and they have several labels if you don't want to add your own image. For the price, $23 with shipping after 10% coupon for 24 labels it's not a bad deal. (Search for a coupon code an you will find one.) I got 10% off. You get both front and back labels, they are waterproof and come off like a dream. Bonus; they are re-positionable and re-usebale if you want.

This is an Angel Banco kit from WE I renamed. I wish you could have seen my husbands face when I handed him a bottle of wine named after our Jeep. Priceless.

0FD40D8B-D307-46C0-BB9B-7E224A903151.jpg

0BA72600-C146-4328-8F39-2F4E9D8C1137.jpg

Looks good! I like the simplicity of the design! Interesting homepage too!

Tony, since you probably don't have a color calibrated monitor or printer here is a low tech "cheat" that will get you close. Use what ever program you use for your labels and draw a bunch of boxes in a grid layout. Color each box separately in tones close to the shrink cap you want to use. Print out the one sheet and pick your closest color or modify and try again. Something like this would get you close.
Mike

Couldn't think of a better method.

Found a pantone color chart here:
http://www.cal-print.com/InkColorChart.htm

maybe you'll find your color in it...

Lori, awesome label! Lol, I forgot you had said your husband had a cj5. You guys ever decide to do some rock climbing somewhere, let me know!

Lori, awesome label! Lol, I forgot you had said your husband had a cj5. You guys ever decide to do some rock climbing somewhere, let me know!

Rock climbing? She's far too old for that. I'd be worried that we would roll her over and break her hip.
:)

Latest posts

Back