Post your labels here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are currently trademarking a few names for the winery we hope to

start in a few years. Getting a lot of the trademarks and legal

stuff out of the way as that takes a while anyway

Here is an example of a back label we will be using

Wife is working on the front side label.

I think all the requirements have been added

What do you think

Thanks

Just wondering why you are adding all those ingredient details on your label. Will the public really care that the sugar is inverted or even know what that means? Seems to me the ingredient list like that only serves to give the impression your wine is not natural and has a lot if additives that, frankly, are not present in the wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Asterof also the Chitosan has only relatively recently been approved for use in commercial wine and only a certain type may be used. From the TTB "The Chitosan must be derived from Aspergillus niger. The amount used must not exceed 10 grams per 100 liters of wine. " Kieselsol is not on the list of approved materials so if you want to use it you must apply to the TTB to do so using their procedure.

TTB regulation:
Applications for such approval must be submitted in accordance with the requirements set forth in § 24.250. In general, § 24.250 requires that the application shows that the proposed material or process is a cellar treatment consistent with good commercial practice; § 24.250 further requires that the application provide:
  • The name and description of the material or process;
  • The purpose, manner, and extent to which the material or process is to be used together with any technical bulletin or other pertinent information relative to the material or process;
  • A sample, if a proposed material;
  • Documentary evidence of the FDA's approval of the material for its intended purpose in the amounts proposed for the particular treatment contemplated;
  • The test results of any laboratory scale pilot study conducted by the winemaker in testing the material and an evaluation of the product and of the treatment including the results of tests of the shelf life of the treated wine;
  • A tabulation of pertinent information derived from the testing program conducted by the chemical manufacturer demonstrating the function of the material or process;
  • A list of all chemicals used in compounding the treating material and the quantity of each component;
  • The recommended maximum and minimum amounts, if any, of the material proposed to be used in the treatment and a statement as to the volume of water required, if any, to facilitate the addition of the material or operation of the process; and
  • Two 750-milliliter samples representative of the wine before and after treatment.

Thats the name that was on the packet's supplied with the kits
Both Chitosan and Kieselsol for red wine
So If you do not use those what would you use.
So why would the Kits supply them if they were not approved
I am confused

You are correct , I went to the store and picked up ten bottles of
assorted wine, none had the ingredient list on them, only thing I saw was
the Contains Sulfite's warning on a few

And I agree I will change the Fonts
Thanks all
better to learn this in the hall way, than after you closed the door

Kit wines are generally a little harder to clear than wines made from fresh grapes. It has to do with the fact that you are starting/using a concentrated product. Wine made from fresh grapes will clear on its own in no time flat with no need for fining agents. Also kit wines are generally sold to be ready to bottle in ~28 days or so. If you are patient you can omit the fining/clearing agents even in a kit wine and let time take care of it.

I am confused

Thats the name that was on the packet's supplied with the kits
Both Chitosan and Kieselsol for red wine
So If you do not use those what would you use.
I am confused

Thanks all
better to learn this in the hall way, than after you closed the door

Like Ibglowin says they will clear on their own, but bentonite can be used.
Kits can use them because they are intended for home winemakers, generally not commercial. Also if you operate as a Farm Winery, you can only use products sourced in your state. That means most kits would need a source of origin sticker for the juice used. Some wineries do use them, but it may not be legal. I would certainly clear it with the TTB before using them. Sorry if I am a bummer, just advising you to be cautious. A lot of the rules are hard to find, but it is getting better as there is more information on their site all the time.

I will most likely be asking a few more questions on this
No use using something that is not usable in the long run.

There is a lot to like about this label. Is the wine and glass picture what you will use for your front label? I like that.

The font change at the top, though, makes the name almost impossible for me to read. If I didn't now it was Darkharvest, I would not have been able to decipher it.

If you save your art or pictures as JPEG's they'll show up with your post, easier for everyone to see than the pdf's. Take your time developing the label, it's really the last thing you have to worry about getting finished. They are a lot of fun to work on but like the winemaking itself you'll get better at it as you practice and time goes on.

Nice Start though, the only criticism I have is that everything is kind of equally asking for your attention, nothing really stands out. Pick either the name or picture or wine type and emphasize it to get more interest, that'll make someone want to read the rest of it. You'll also want to consider what type of bottles you plan on using as you work on your layouts.
Look forward to seeing how it evolves.
Mike

31b6108d02fe8b4e418b80102177ac55.jpg

Here is my label....

Last edited:
Back