Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chesapeake Bay Bridge two days ago.

View attachment 109781

I've been across that thing in sunshine, and it sometimes ain't fun then! 🤣 We used to use the Hampton Bay Bridge Tunnel a lot. My visiting Illinois ma would freak out every time. "Hey Ma!" I would cry out, "We're like 50 feet under water right here!" 🤣Just trying to be a good tour guide, ya know...

Under edit: Jim @Boatboy24, just showed the pic to Ms. Jswordy. Quote: "That's creepy! No way in F**K that I'd be driving on that!" 😄

I've been across that thing in sunshine, and it sometimes ain't fun then! 🤣 We used to use the Hampton Bay Bridge Tunnel a lot. My visiting Illinois ma would freak out every time. "Hey Ma!" I would cry out, "We're like 50 feet under water right here!" 🤣Just trying to be a good tour guide, ya know...

Under edit: Jim @Boatboy24, just showed the pic to Ms. Jswordy. Quote: "That's creepy! No way in F**K that I'd be driving on that!" 😄

I went over it for the first time in probably 20+ years this summer. Used to do it all the time and it never bothered me. There are two spans - 3 lanes each way. On weekends, they change the direction of one lane to help with traffic to/from the beaches. Being a left lane driver most of the time, I ended up in the 'changed' lane on the opposite span with oncoming traffic headed right at me as we went over. That thing is scary enough just due to the height, but add in oncoming traffic and it was terrifying.

For those that don't know, what's in the picture is near the end on the Eastern side. The fog really makes it look like it's dipping into the water. Crazy.

I went over it for the first time in probably 20+ years this summer. Used to do it all the time and it never bothered me. There are two spans - 3 lanes each way. On weekends, they change the direction of one lane to help with traffic to/from the beaches. Being a left lane driver most of the time, I ended up in the 'changed' lane on the opposite span with oncoming traffic headed right at me as we went over. That thing is scary enough just due to the height, but add in oncoming traffic and it was terrifying.

For those that don't know, what's in the picture is near the end on the Eastern side. The fog really makes it look like it's dipping into the water. Crazy.
Height? It's only 40 feet above the water, right?

But it actually goes below water (tunnel) so ships can pass........

View attachment 109812
@Boatboy24 may be talking about another bridge when he mentioned the height was scary. We have bridges up here that are over 200' high including the Tobin Bridge in Boston that's 254 feet over the water.

@Boatboy24 may be talking about another bridge when he mentioned the height was scary. We have bridges up here that are over 200' high including the Tobin Bridge in Boston that's 254 feet over the water.

Hold my beer.......... LOL

Rio grande gorge bridge. 650ft over water.......

1706543455864.png

Heavy wet stuff overnight. But only 5".

View attachment 109811
And ours is all melting in MinneSNOWta because it's in the 40°s today!!

I was at a charity event ON a lake last week. Luckily, we had super cold weather the week before so that there was a good thick 12 inch layer of ice. But the temp was 37° F so it was definitely melty!

IMG_9683.jpeg

Yup. On the CBBT, the crosswinds on gusty days will make you long for the tunnels. I once turned left for the whole trip, just to stay straight. It can be wild.

Here's the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel that I used to use at least once weekly, that Ma didn't much like, lol... It connects Hampton and Newport News, Va., to Norfolk and Virginia Beach. They're building new bridges and tunnels for it to add two new ones and four more lanes.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 1.21.38 PM.png

Hold my beer.......... LOL

Rio grande gorge bridge. 650ft over water.......

View attachment 109814

I've walked across the Royal Gorge Bridge in Canon City CO, which at the time was the highest or 2nd highest suspension bridge in the US. IIRC, it was just about 1,000 feet.

1706576003745.png

Last edited:
Yup. On the CBBT, the crosswinds on gusty days will make you long for the tunnels. I once turned left for the whole trip, just to stay straight. It can be wild.

Here's the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel that I used to use at least once weekly, that Ma didn't much like, lol... It connects Hampton and Newport News, Va., to Norfolk and Virginia Beach. They're building new bridges and tunnels for it to add two new ones and four more lanes.

View attachment 109825

We cross through that one on our way to OBX every summer. It never gets old.

We went back in 2002. I was much younger then.......

You could feel the bridge swaying just standing there.

1706576631483.jpeg

1706576651921.jpeg
I've walked across the Royal Gorge Bridge in Canon City CO, which at the time was the highest or 2nd highest suspension bridge in the US. IIRC, it was just about 1,000+ feet.

View attachment 109841

Back