Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay, the heaviest rain missed us overnight and this morning. They expect just a half inch all day here. The new US Drought Monitor map still shows us in extreme drought, though. Might improve with next Thursday's edition.

Looking great out here in the Southwest! LOL

View attachment 109709

My farm ponds are full again and my gauge says we have had 6.5" of rain this month. It is raining now and supposed to rain all day. I think our drought is finally broken, if we can just get a good spring rain pattern to follow it. Have to see what Drought Monitor says this coming Thursday.

My farm ponds are full again and my gauge says we have had 6.5" of rain this month. It is raining now and supposed to rain all day. I think our drought is finally broken, if we can just get a good spring rain pattern to follow it. Have to see what Drought Monitor says this coming Thursday.
Good luck!

About 20 years ago Raleigh was in a long-lasting drought. Part of my commute was along side Jordan Lake, and at one point a bridge passed over a large field on both sides of the road. Going north, the lake was about 200 yards on the left. Like many lakes in NC, Jordan was created by the Army Corp of Engineers as a reservoir and for flood control. It was completed 50 years ago and many dead trees are still standing in areas that were flooded.

I drove this way for several years.

Then we had a very wet fall that broke the drought. The fields I drove over? It was a shallow part of the lake that had been dry long enough to become a field. It's been a part of the lake ever since, which is good -- we've had drought conditions, but none that bad since then.

John Martin Reservoir in Lamar, Colo was also built by Corps of Engineers in 1943. The water level is now the lowest that I ever remember in my 61 years! I remember going inside on a tour in grade school. There are three 1meg hydro generators that have not run in years. You can see where the normal water line was.john martin.jpg

Back