Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday night we went down to Phoenix to see comedian Jo Kay at the Footprint Center. Sold out show, 14,000 people and we're in the second row center. Awesome show and we'll be here again in Feb. I think, to see Bruce Springsteen. Almost as much fun was the motor motel Lori found called the Egyptian. It's an original motor inn from the 50's that's had every room decorated in everything from the 50s to 70s. They have an outdoor bar and a restaurant with awesome food where we ate before the show. I'm sure we'll be back for the bruce show.

IMG_1321.jpgIMG_1315.jpgIMG_1313.jpgIMG_1310.jpgIMG_1309.jpgIMG_1303.jpg

Friday night we went down to Phoenix to see comedian Jo Kay at the Footprint Center. Sold out show, 14,000 people and we're in the second row center. Awesome show and we'll be here again in Feb. I think, to see Bruce Springsteen. Almost as much fun was the motor motel Lori found called the Egyptian. It's an original motor inn from the 50's that's had every room decorated in everything from the 50s to 70s. They have an outdoor bar and a restaurant with awesome food where we ate before the show. I'm sure we'll be back for the bruce show.

View attachment 107223View attachment 107224View attachment 107225View attachment 107226View attachment 107227View attachment 107228

Looks really fun! I am looking forward to a coming PHX visit.

Boy, was she mad at us for sitting in front of her and eating Mexican ice cream without getting her any! Just look! 🤣 End of a gorgeous 83-degree day yesterday in (too) sunny southern Tennessee, with the sun setting. We put on our shorts and t-shirts and rode around for the afternoon "sticking our noses in other people's business," as I like to say. 🤣 The top came down after this stop. I wasn't going to miss doing that on Nov. 7! Today is a carbon copy of yesterday, but things are set to change starting tomorrow. Including a third of an inch of rain on Friday. Big deal... won't stop the drought but it'll be our first real rain (not just mist) since the first week of September. So, I'm hopeful we actually get it.

IMG_20231107_161211081_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231111_160842385.jpg

IMG_20231111_155546929_HDR.jpg

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

Just back from a 650-mile shakedown road trip with Sue to Carbondale, Illinois, in the 2005 50th Anniversary Thunderbird. My coil pack work performed well. The car ran flawlessly. We got lots and lots of thumbs-up on the car.

Here are a couple of shots on the Southern Illinois University Carbondale campus, and a couple of pix of our Quatro's Pizza, a deep-dish Chicago style delicacy. The last time I sat down there was 43 years ago. It tasted just as awesome as back then, except now Quatro's has a house beer, too! The place looked the same. Brought two leftover pieces home. Now gone.

We took US highways 64 and 641 for 75% of the trip, and both were really nice. Longer time to get there but a much more relaxed experience than interstate driving, and we were in no hurry. We liked it so much on the way up that we chose to take the route on our return, too. Next time we'll stay 3-4 days.

Strangest part of the trip was seeing the headless deer on the sides of the road. Bucks are in rut, and so this is their stupid season, and trucks hit lots of them. Then hunters drive by, spot a deer with a nice rack, and cut off the head.

Now prepping for a December departure to Phoenix, if the weather holds.

Brought home a 12 of this...

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 8.28.50 AM.png

...and a 6er of this to try out... Salukis are the mascot of SIU...

e251382d6fb209e348d8960ac4c94eaf_raw.jpg

Oh yeah, gas price report: Premium was 67 cents higher in Illinois than in Kentucky and $1.09 a gallon higher than in south-central Tennessee where I live.

Last edited:
Ms. Jswordy and I decided to take a trip to see the fall colors ... to our back pasture. The red is sumac. The last pic is of a lil oak we are trying to identify, keep getting all kinds of different answers off the tree forums. I'd like to move some sumac and oaks up closer to the house. If I'm gonna do it, better mark them now because the leaves won't be here much longer and we are in severe drought so I can't transplant yet.

Big changes coming next week here. Highs of 85 today and tomorrow. High Tuesday is 53, low 28, high Wednesday is 50, low 28. Then we pull back up into the seasonal 70s with lows in the mid-40s. A lil drizzle is predicted Monday, is all, 40% chance with maybe 0.14 inch total.

This is one of the worst droughts I can recall. The last real rain we had was at the beginning of September. That pasture was cut for hay back in August. Should be much higher by now. For comparison, I bush-hogged the area immediately adjacent to the trees just two weeks ago. SMH.

View attachment 106911

View attachment 106912

View attachment 106913

View attachment 106914
I checked my tree book for your oak and came up with 3 possibilities: water oak, blackjack oak, and bastard oak. I'm leaning towards blackjack but I'm no expert.

A few years ago I spent many (fun) hours trying to identify the trees on the property. And FWIW, white oaks have rounded leaves, black oaks are pointy.

I checked my tree book for your oak and came up with 3 possibilities: water oak, blackjack oak, and bastard oak. I'm leaning towards blackjack but I'm no expert.

A few years ago I spent many (fun) hours trying to identify the trees on the property. And FWIW, white oaks have rounded leaves, black oaks are pointy.

The common red oak has a huge variety of leaves. It is really hard to tell. We've ruled out water oak. I would bet that it is a red oak. These are ALL from a single red oak.

370200508_870000698040075_4698493014734626659_n.png

image.jpg

So, this picture shows up in my phone messages last night. No text. The area code is from Minnesota. So I'm thinking, who do I know in Minnesota? Maybe it's @Arne? But when did he start polishing his nails? 😄

Me: Nice. Who's this?

Reply: Isn't this Kevin's phone number?

Me: No but I do love good wine!

Reply: Sorry, I wrote # wrong. I hope I didn't bother you.

Me: No problem.

Reply: You are kind, maybe we can be friends. My name is Zoe. What's your name?

Ahem!!! 🤣 Pretty sure at this stage it ain't @Arne! 🤣 The wine, BTW, sells for an average $9,969 a bottle.

UNDER EDIT: Too curious. so...

Me: That's a very nice bottle, Zoe. Were you at a tasting? How do you like it? I love Bordeaux.

Reply: Nice to meet you. It sounds like you are also a very tasteful wine lover. This is a bottle of Romanee-Conti from 1991. The brewing aroma makes the taste even better. Do you mind if I ask how old you are? Make sure you are of drinking age lol. I'm 40.

"The brewing aroma" ???? And THAT is where the collection of my personal information stops!!! 🤣

Last edited:
Whenever I get one of those text messages or a picture, I always cut it off with a response of:

Who is this? and how did we meet?

Generally the response comes back like the one you got and I instantly know to block them. It being a wine picture might have caused me to deviate, but probably not.

Whenever I get one of those text messages or a picture, I always cut it off with a response of:

Who is this? and how did we meet?

Generally the response comes back like the one you got and I instantly know to block them. It being a wine picture might have caused me to deviate, but probably not.

I thought it was funny, but I knew it was phishing. My God, I have force-taken a required course on Internet security every year for 10 years at the university. They probably already knew that was the pic that would work. 🤣

Latest posts

Back