Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Rocky. I had to look up half those architectural terms! You continue to impress.

Yes, I love this house. We got lucky on finding it. Good guess on the date -- it is from 1929 or 1930. (Some documents say one, some say the other.)

It originally had a cedar roof, but, with the Mediterranean Revival architecture, I always felt it cried out for a clay-tile roof. I decided to do it myself this summer (because it would have been PROHIBITIVELY expen$ive otherwise).

Unfortunately, that cedar roof was still there, along with two asphalt roofs, so the tear-off was challenging. Here are some progress pix of the rear of the house:

View attachment 17793

View attachment 17794

View attachment 17795

View attachment 17796

View attachment 17797 Hi all. I've been feeling more and more like I'm going to have to do roof repairs lately. And the more the ceiling stain in the furnace room gets, the more I'm starting to suspect it. Can you advise me on a good professional? Where should I even look for one? I've never done anything like this before. Went to see what might be leaking in there but haven't determined anything. I'm waiting for your advice.
Hi all. I've been feeling more and more like I'm going to have to do roof repairs lately. And the more the ceiling stain in the furnace room gets, the more I'm starting to suspect it. Can you advise me on a good professional? Where should I even look for one? I've never done anything like this before. Went to see what might be leaking in there but haven't determined anything. I'm waiting for your advice.

Hi all. I've been feeling more and more like I'm going to have to do roof repairs lately. And the more the ceiling stain in the furnace room gets, the more I'm starting to suspect it. Can you advise me on a good professional? Where should I even look for one? I've never done anything like this before. Went to see what might be leaking in there but haven't determined anything. I'm waiting for your advice.

Where's the stain? If it's around the chimney area, it is likely the chimney flashing is leaking.

I have had excellent luck asking the staff of a LOCAL building supply company for worker references (NOT Home Depot or Lowe's), on the few times I outsource work. They supply them all and know who's good.

@sour_grapes, the oldest half of our house was built in 1933. Cheers!

Hmmm: Roof repair

I fail to see how someone with the temerity to call him or her self a professional plumber can use compression fitting valves designed for copper pipe with CPVC. Yes, you can make it so they won't leak until you get paid and get gone, but they are then just a leak waiting to happen. These had apparently been slowly leaking for quite some time under my kitchen sink, creating some mold growth.

IMG_3388.JPG

An emergency requiring immediate repair was created once one of them leaked badly enough to start spraying, requiring a 50-mile Sunday round trip from the farm to Home Depot for the correct, glue-in valves. I am happy to report they remain at the same price as when I used them in my bath remodel over 7 years ago.

IMG_3387.JPG

So! End of problem. And the end of a solid week of stuff breaking around here and requiring me to fix it. I hope this is the end of that trend.

It started with a flat tire, then progressed... this new water heater was one item also on the week's list...

Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 3.02.45 PM.png

12 years ago, the old GE-branded Rheem cost me $389 with a 12-year warranty. It leaked right on time! I found out the only way to get a 12-year warranty now is to buy a "smart" one with Wifi connectivity to your phone for $789. Right, I need to know what my water heater is doing at all times. 😄 I chose this 9-year with a step up to 5500-watt elements for $659. If I remember, I'll replace the anode in 6 years and get 12-15 out of it. Though I may be senile by then, so I dunno....

Hi @TxBrew. I received your emailed special offer to renew but am having trouble with the link. I appreciate your help.
That was caused by an old email/private message being sent out during a database tweak. It was immediately turned off.
Sorry for the interruption.

Latest posts

Back