Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went out to do a puView attachment 95215nch down and found this guy waiting for me.
@Boatboy24, when living in areas where there are large spiders, it's necessary to have the proper spider removal tool. Here's mine:

spider removal tool.jpg

🤣

We get some larger ones in central NC. Took me years to get used to it, but I learned to mostly ignore the ones outside.

Inside the house? The only spiders I like inside the house are the flat ones!

@Boatboy24, when living in areas where there are large spiders, it's necessary to have the proper spider removal tool. Here's mine:

View attachment 95219

🤣

We get some larger ones in central NC. Took me years to get used to it, but I learned to mostly ignore the ones outside.

I use one of these spider removal tools too. Hope your neighbors don't complain as much as mine do when I use it.

I use one of these spider removal tools too. Hope your neighbors don't complain as much as mine do when I use it.
It's interesting that you get that reaction. When I bring out such tools, my neighbors are very aware that I am not interested in discussing their thoughts on my behavior.

View attachment 95219

🤣

That's a nice spider removal tool but I'm a little worried about you, buckaroo - if they gang up you may not be able to reload fast enough. :D

That's a nice spider removal tool but I'm a little worried about you, buckaroo - if they gang up you may not be able to reload fast enough. :D
3" shells with #4 buckshot -- except at very close range, I can get a couple with one shot. Plus I always carry a machete when spider hunting! 🤣

My favorite for spider hunting holds 8+1. One for each leg and an extra for good measure.😀
I assume you're talking about a spawn of Kumonga?

Kumonga.jpg

NC spiders are a bit smaller than Alberta spiders, so I haven't had this problem. 🤣

Supposedly wolf spiders in NC can grow as large as 8"/21 cm (including legs). The largest I've personally seen is about 5"/13 cm. That was quite large enough.

Today I delivered a dresser. My wife inherited a dresser and chest of drawer that her parents purchased when they were first married, 50+ years ago. We used them for 20 years, and finally replaced them with items Mrs. WM81 wanted. The inherited items went into the attic for when our children moved out -- they would in turn inherit solid bedroom furnishings.

Our elder son took the chest of drawers a few years ago, and recently expressed an interest in the dresser. Cool bean! We want it gone! This is a win-win situation!

Unfortunately a decade in the attic (NC summers are like the surface of Mercury) left the wood rough, so Mrs. WM81 decided to strip, sand, and refinish the dresser. It took her about 3 weeks, but she completed it, and we delivered it today.

dresser.jpg

Oddly enough, the different parts of the dresser are made of different woods, so not everything reacted the same to the stain. She also discovered that the original stain was engrained deeper in some places than others, so her work didn't turn out as even as she expected. She is disappointed, but our son is highly pleased.

There is a full size mirror that goes with this -- Mrs. WM81 is going to re-do the frame.

I don't think people believe me when I say I have a fridge ONLY for vegetable ferments.
Unlike canning, lacto fermented vegetables will stay incredibly crisp for at least a year.
Sandwiches, pizza, salads, snacking, and incredible hot sauce, most of this will be gone by next year's harvest.
It's interesting that garlic almost becomes inedible because the flavor becomes so intense, VERY strong.

Vegetables, water, salt - can't get much simpler. Oops, yes you can...sauerkraut is only cabbage and salt.

View attachment 95194
Well, here you go Dave. I have been making Kraut and fermented vegetables for years. I haven't done one in the new house with all the projects.. and wine. I figure you broke a year and a half break with this post. Don't blame me if I start posting a new one every week.. I have a history of... Enthusiasm.

Thanks for the inspiration .

PXL_20221114_005653069.MP.jpg

Well, here you go Dave. I have been making Kraut and fermented vegetables for years. I haven't done one in the new house with all the projects.. and wine. I figure you broke a year and a half break with this post. Don't blame me if I start posting a new one every week.. I have a history of... Enthusiasm.

Thanks for the inspiration .

View attachment 95257
Excellent!
I've tried many kraut recipes over the years, of course, and they were all interesting and fun, but I keep going back to the basic recipe. Sometimes simple is better.
BTW, red cabbage makes a beautiful and delicious kraut but it seems like it doesn't last as long, don't know why. Extra sugar?

Back