Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And? Everything new has risks of potential hacks. If you ask people in rural areas about that they may tell you "who cares".
I'm pretty sure it will be sorted out. But regardless that does not remove the fact Elon Musk is such an innovator.

Dude, high school kids got in there first. That's not genius level for a company valued at $127 billion. 🤣

Dude, high school kids got in there first. That's not genius level for a company valued at $127 billion. 🤣

Name one company doing what Starlink is doing globally.....this is the very first time in history that, at an "affordable" cost, people in the bush can have access to the internet.

It seems like you hate Elon Musk....lol

It's ok, I've seen many people doing that just because of his public views/comments in recent months :)

Name one company doing what Starlink is doing globally.....this is the very first time in history that, at an "affordable" cost, people in the bush can have access to the internet.

It seems like you hate Elon Musk....lol

It's ok, I've seen many people doing that just because of his public views/comments in recent months :)

I just see Mr. Musk for what he is. I don't misattribute to genius: 1.) the accumulation of money, or 2.) an irrational and compensational overabundance of an acquisitive nature, or 3.) the irrational need to accumulate more and more - not in order to better one's circumstances, but rather simply to keep it from others, or 4.) the ruthless slashing away at others' lives in order to better position oneself regardless of the consequences to fellow human beings, or 5.) the constant desire to be a center of attention, or 6.) the utter lack of the ability to keep his word. Further, a refined sense of ethical behavior is what I value first and foremost in human beings, and Musk fails miserably on that point. Just miserably. That is also not required to be "a good businessman."

Musk BOUGHT and MUSCLED his way into everything he is involved in, and that's fine but not genius. He has created nothing himself, except more money. That means he is a good businessman. NOT a genius. A genius is defined as a person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative, either generally or in some particular respect. Making money demands neither creativity nor intelligence, and Thomas Edison, he ain't.

Also, I am not one of those who automatically believes that all technology, more access to technology, and the relentless march of technology makes things better every time. We have seen, in my lifetime, a relentless progression of negative events springing from that belief and practice that show that premise to be simply untrue, right up to the apparent impending demise of the Earth. Indeed, the scientific debate advancing now among those who actually are geniuses is, are we living in peak technology? Is this the last period at which the essential natural resources and other building blocks for technology will never be greater? It's an interesting discussion, since people like Musk, et al, are making it a pretty even bet.

Last edited:
I just see Mr. Musk for what he is. I don't misattribute to genius: 1.) the accumulation of money, or 2.) an irrational and compensational overabundance of an acquisitive nature, or 3.) the irrational need to accumulate more and more - not in order to better one's circumstances, but rather simply to keep it from others, or 4.) the ruthless slashing away at others' lives in order to better position oneself regardless of the consequences to fellow human beings, or 5.) the constant desire to be a center of attention, or 6.) the utter lack of the ability to keep his word. Further, a refined sense of ethical behavior is what I value first and foremost in human beings, and Musk fails miserably on that point. Just miserably. That is also not required to be "a good businessman."

Musk BOUGHT and MUSCLED his way into everything he is involved in, and that's fine but not genius. He has created nothing himself, except more money. That means he is a good businessman. NOT a genius. A genius is defined as a person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative, either generally or in some particular respect. Making money demands neither creativity nor intelligence, and Thomas Edison, he ain't.

Also, I am not one of those who automatically believes that all technology, more access to technology, and the relentless march of technology makes things better every time. We have seen, in my lifetime, a relentless progression of negative events springing from that belief and practice that show that premise to be simply untrue, right up to the apparent impending demise of the Earth. Indeed, the scientific debate advancing now among those who actually are geniuses is, are we living in peak technology? Is this the last period at which the essential natural resources and other building blocks for technology will never be greater? It's an interesting discussion, since people like Musk, et al, are making it a pretty even bet.

Ok, let me change the attribute to SMART and INNOVATIVE. Feel better now? I does not matter how you call it, Jeff Bezos is another business guy and I can call him genious since he found new ways to make money and revolutionize, whether you see it from one point or another. If it wasn't for him we'd still be lacking of aerospace innovations, no advancement in EV, robotics, etc etc.

Not sure how long you'd like to keep this going but not sure how he "BOUGHT and MUSCLED his way into everything". He has created ideas to make things better and has taken the right opportunities to make money, welcome to capitalism Jim.

Starlink recently has satellites that now cover the caribbean including the DR and it is amazing how now remote locations "deep in the bush" have access to so many things they didn't have access to before.

That's why I keep saying Elon Musk is a genious.
My brother purchased Starlink for our cabin in northern PA earlier this spring. He got his kit the next day as they wanted to use him as a test site for the area. Now there is a long waiting list for the service in Tioga county from what he says.

Works great other than the 5 second drop of service every 40 seconds or so. You can still do video etc, you just need to warn the person on the other end that there will be occasional "freezes" in activity. The high canyon walls somewhat limit what we can get service wise, but 100mb download ain't to shabby in my opinion.

I'll be up there this weekend (hopefully) and will be able to get on this site via my laptop. Never thought that would be a reality in my lifetime!

I think it's around $100 a month from what I remember. Very easy to install.

My brother purchased Starlink for our cabin in northern PA earlier this spring. He got his kit the next day as they wanted to use him as a test site for the area. Now there is a long waiting list for the service in Tioga county from what he says.

Works great other than the 5 second drop of service every 40 seconds or so. You can still do video etc, you just need to warn the person on the other end that there will be occasional "freezes" in activity. The high canyon walls somewhat limit what we can get service wise, but 100mb download ain't to shabby in my opinion.

I'll be up there this weekend (hopefully) and will be able to get on this site via my laptop. Never thought that would be a reality in my lifetime!

I think it's around $100 a month from what I remember. Very easy to install.

With hurricane Fiona, local emergency services were very very thankful to a couple local folks for bringing their Starlink dish to some remote locations that were devasted with flood and uncommunicated with the rest of the country. A guy I know here has a Rivian EV who aside from the starlink dish he also used the pickup to provide assistance in getting some other emergency equipment powered up.

So there goes how important the Starlink has become and some people just don’t get it.

BTW - it’s cheaper in the DR, about $50 US dollars or so I’m told.

Ok, let me change the attribute to SMART and INNOVATIVE. Feel better now? I does not matter how you call it, Jeff Bezos is another business guy and I can call him genious since he found new ways to make money and revolutionize, whether you see it from one point or another. If it wasn't for him we'd still be lacking of aerospace innovations, no advancement in EV, robotics, etc etc.

Not sure how long you'd like to keep this going but not sure how he "BOUGHT and MUSCLED his way into everything". He has created ideas to make things better and has taken the right opportunities to make money, welcome to capitalism Jim.

If you are unsure how Elon Musk "BOUGHT and MUSCLED his way into everything," then you sure as hell don't know much about Elon Musk or his business history, so I'll end this here. I have nothing against capitalism, it has been very good to me personally, but to equate making money with genius is a fallacious assumption. Knowing now that you know very little about Mr. Musk's history other than being a customer of his, I can see how you'd make that leap.

If you are unsure how Elon Musk "BOUGHT and MUSCLED his way into everything," then you sure as hell don't know much about Elon Musk or his business history, so I'll end this here. I have nothing against capitalism, it has been very good to me personally, but to equate making money with genius is a fallacious assumption. Knowing now that you know very little about Mr. Musk's history other than being a customer of his, I can see how you'd make that leap.

Sure, and he is the only man on earth that has done it the way he has done it. I understand you have personal feelings against him, which is also ok.
The question from you is now whether I'm unsure how he dealt with his business or not....what I look at is how much he has brought to change many things.

And I also understand some people, not saying you in particular, also hate him just because his public political perspective in recent months and just because of that reason they just hate him, cannot digest him.

I will also leave it there.

Have a great day ;)

Sure, and he is the only man on earth that has done it the way he has done it. I understand you have personal feelings against him, which is also ok.
The question from you is now whether I'm unsure how he dealt with his business or not....what I look at is how much he has brought to change many things.

And I also understand some people, not saying you in particular, also hate him just because his public political perspective in recent months and just because of that reason they just hate him, cannot digest him.

I will also leave it there.

Have a great day ;)

Varis, you don't know what I feel, so please don't try to say what I feel. As with your suppositions about Musk – you have no idea.

Back