Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I played around with labels today, more of the effort was on the 'brand' than the label. It looks a little headstoney to me..

Thoughts

View attachment 84813
Looks good, nice and clean! If you add a deep red into it somewhere or change the font or logo color to a red, a little contrast may move it away from the "headstoney" genre!

I played around with labels today, more of the effort was on the 'brand' than the label. It looks a little headstoney to me

View attachment 84813
Are you using media with the headstone shape? If not, you're going to have a lot of white on the bottle. I suggest matching the media to the label, and consider cost. The media I was using doubled in price since Oct 2020, so I switched media.

Also consider how the label will look on the bottle. The black label may look very dark on a green bottle full of red wine. It's worth printing a sample and then checking first:

2021-barbera-tinified.png

barbera.jpg

I'm not steering you towards lighter colors -- just cautioning you to experiment first. IMO @Vic Frohmeyer's suggestion of color is a good one. Keep the "branding" the same, but vary the font and color of the wine type. Make a few samples to check the differences.

Important -- with that much black on the background, do not print on an inkjet. It will not come out good. Use a color laser, or have it printed at Staples, Kinko's, or a similar place.

heat wave?
View attachment 84867View attachment 84868
? good facial expression, , , can’t make out what he said
View attachment 84869View attachment 84870
going . . . going . . . gone . . . boy the water is warm compared to the air temp
View attachment 84871View attachment 84872
have wanted to do this on New Year’s Day for the polar bear club, , , ,
, , , maybe next year
when them tiny little peas shoot up through your brain, i promise you,,,,, you will know what is said, and aw hell no, NO SHORTS

heat wave?
View attachment 84867View attachment 84868
? good facial expression, , , can’t make out what he said
View attachment 84869View attachment 84870
going . . . going . . . gone . . . boy the water is warm compared to the air temp
View attachment 84871View attachment 84872
have wanted to do this on New Year’s Day for the polar bear club, , , ,
, , , maybe next year

I have done the polar bear plunge in Lake Michigan on Jan. 1 (a few years ago). I always get a laugh, because Jan 1 is one of the busiest days of the year on the beach in Milwaukee! :) I have intended to return to do it again, but we are usually travelling on Jan 1, but maybe some year soon!

Looks good, nice and clean! If you add a deep red into it somewhere or change the font or logo color to a red, a little contrast may move it away from the "headstoney" genre!

It's growing on me. I tweaked it a bit and it works with other background colours. I tried adding red. I like it, but it might work better as an accent to enhance thelabel.

Original

wine label2.png
Highlighting the bear ties it together for me. removing capitals from the wine softens it further.
triple berry.png
red label.png
shiraz.png
I think it has potential.

Are you using media with the headstone shape? If not, you're going to have a lot of white on the bottle. I suggest matching the media to the label, and consider cost. The media I was using doubled in price since Oct 2020, so I switched media.

Also consider how the label will look on the bottle. The black label may look very dark on a green bottle full of red wine. It's worth printing a sample and then checking first:

View attachment 84890

View attachment 84891

I'm not steering you towards lighter colors -- just cautioning you to experiment first. IMO @Vic Frohmeyer's suggestion of color is a good one. Keep the "branding" the same, but vary the font and color of the wine type. Make a few samples to check the differences.

Important -- with that much black on the background, do not print on an inkjet. It will not come out good. Use a color laser, or have it printed at Staples, Kinko's, or a similar place.

I came up with this.
1Final wine label.png

I'm really not too savvy on the design side, so after I got to this point I made the wine label in Avery full print label format, assuming I would buy the printable labels. $20 for 40. It's free to design to print to their precut labels. I'm sharing the printable download.

I like how it plays with other colours and templates, so the design is growing on me.

This is a little more balanced. Simple.

red label.png
A little progress from the original. Again, more balanced, but I agree, I will likely have to work to get a good print.

triple berry.png

Last edited:
I ended up putting the ABV and also the bottling month and year on mine, in small letters on the bottom.

I love the bearclaw! The colors definitely take away the headstone vibe. Good job!

Paw update.
A couple weeks back I posted a paw print in the snow that was almost 5 inches.
Got a couple game cams. These two show up every night between midnight and 6AM, usually about 20 minutes after deer. Big. Shoulder height is approximately 30 in. Looks like one might have a collar. Wolf-dogs are popular around here and we also have some wolf sanctuaries. Whatever they are and wherever they came from they're nocturnal and look well fed.
This is the best pic out of dozens.
And I'm missing some outdoor cats.

IMAG0071.jpg

Paw update.
A couple weeks back I posted a paw print in the snow that was almost 5 inches.
Got a couple game cams. These two show up every night between midnight and 6AM, usually about 20 minutes after deer. Big. Shoulder height is approximately 30 in. Looks like one might have a collar. Wolf-dogs are popular around here and we also have some wolf sanctuaries. Whatever they are and wherever they came from they're nocturnal and look well fed.
This is the best pic out of dozens.
And I'm missing some outdoor cats.

View attachment 84918
They look like pretty standard German Shepards to me. Maybe Shepard crosses. Someone needs to keep their pets controlled.

They look like pretty standard German Shepards to me. Maybe Shepard crosses. Someone needs to keep their pets controlled.
That was my first thought, too. Hard to tell for sure, though, with night vision pics.
Everyone near me either has an outdoor pen or takes dogs inside because of the coyote problem. They could be from further away.
They do resemble pics of wolf-dogs I've seen. I'm hoping for a better daylight pic.
Ooh, gotta check my skeeter pee. I know a "watched wine doesn't clear" but I can't help myself.

I really like this logo!

I suggest you do more with background color. At this time it probably doesn't matter, but when you have a dozen batches in the racks, quickly identifying wines becomes difficult if the labels all look too much alike. I have a page that displays the labels I have a record of:

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/bottle-label-progression/
Skip down to the 2012s and scan through to 2018. In hindsight, the labels have different text but all look alike. Finding things in the racks when you have a dozen batches and anywhere from a few bottles to a few cases of each wine, this can be difficult. I've switched to using a background image, which I fade out using Paint.NET, so each label has common features (winery name, my Grape Warrior logo + tag line OR my son's sword logo), bottling date, ABV), but everything else varies. It makes finding things easier. Plus I like designing labels.

I also have enough capsule colors for 7 or 8 batches, so in a year each batch gets a different color. I buy in lots of 500 so that it will be quite a while before I run out of a color in the middle of a batch.

Food for thought ....

Latest posts

Back