Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the drop on the "finished" driveway apron on the newly paved road in front of my place. I asked the crew nicely if they could make it nicer, but they said it was done. Done? They didn't even roll the edge. I already have an email to the roads superintendent. Will update on his reply after he gets back from a conference junket.

View attachment 106646

View attachment 106647

Road commissioner pulled into my driveway yesterday:

"You only get so much asphalt per driveway, and yours drops off from the road."

(Well, yeah, you built up the road 5 inches, so now it does, sure.)

"But we ain't done yet. We gon' put some gravel there."

I was good natured and laughing when I replied:

"Well thank you, Tim, I appreciate you coming out here in person to tell me you ain't gon' do nothing."

SMH. 🤣

Last edited:
"You only get so much asphalt per driveway, and yours drops off from the road."
One of my early mentors told me about road work that was done on the secondary road that his tertiary road connected to -- his road was a 20 degree uphill grade connecting onto a 15 degree uphill grade. The secondary road had been repaved many times, so the town decided to grind away most of the asphalt to level the road out better when they repaved it yet again. The intersection with his road was cut down 15" (38 cm) before they got to the underlay. This resulted in major work to his road, to level the intersection.

I drove by there on the primary road on a regular basis and could see the work went on for a couple of months, but I did not know him well enough to visit at home until after the work was complete.

In government circles this is known as a "cost overrrun". ;)

One of my early mentors told me about road work that was done on the secondary road that his tertiary road connected to -- his road was a 20 degree uphill grade connecting onto a 15 degree uphill grade. The secondary road had been repaved many times, so the town decided to grind away most of the asphalt to level the road out better when they repaved it yet again. The intersection with his road was cut down 15" (38 cm) before they got to the underlay. This resulted in major work to his road, to level the intersection.

I drove by there on the primary road on a regular basis and could see the work went on for a couple of months, but I did not know him well enough to visit at home until after the work was complete.

In government circles this is known as a "cost overrrun". ;)

They do not strip the old asphalt here for county roads. That's for county and city highway departments with lots of money. They just lay new over the old with an oil binder. He told me doing it like they do costs him $130,000 a mile.

I told him my mistake was not taking my rake out there and making it like I wanted it while it was still soft, then rolling it with my car tires, lol...

Will it even run? Will it backfire like crazy? Will it run in reverse? All good questions but alas I have no answers.

Sure you can swap them. Get a custom reverse grind on the cam, swapping the intake lobes into the exhaust valve spots and vice-versa. Clearly a show car, though, IMO. Open throat carbs just inches from the debris thrown up by the wheels? Hmmm...

Ms. Jswordy and I decided to take a trip to see the fall colors ... to our back pasture. The red is sumac. The last pic is of a lil oak we are trying to identify, keep getting all kinds of different answers off the tree forums. I'd like to move some sumac and oaks up closer to the house. If I'm gonna do it, better mark them now because the leaves won't be here much longer and we are in severe drought so I can't transplant yet.

Big changes coming next week here. Highs of 85 today and tomorrow. High Tuesday is 53, low 28, high Wednesday is 50, low 28. Then we pull back up into the seasonal 70s with lows in the mid-40s. A lil drizzle is predicted Monday, is all, 40% chance with maybe 0.14 inch total.

This is one of the worst droughts I can recall. The last real rain we had was at the beginning of September. That pasture was cut for hay back in August. Should be much higher by now. For comparison, I bush-hogged the area immediately adjacent to the trees just two weeks ago. SMH.

IMG_3434.JPG

IMG_3435.JPG

IMG_3438.JPG

IMG_3440.JPG

Ms. Jswordy and I decided to take a trip to see the fall colors ... to our back pasture. The red is sumac. The last pic is of a lil oak we are trying to identify, keep getting all kinds of different answers off the tree forums. I'd like to move some sumac and oaks up closer to the house. If I'm gonna do it, better mark them now because the leaves won't be here much longer and we are in severe drought so I can't transplant yet.

Big changes coming next week here. Highs of 85 today and tomorrow. High Tuesday is 53, low 28, high Wednesday is 50, low 28. Then we pull back up into the seasonal 70s with lows in the mid-40s. A lil drizzle is predicted Monday, is all, 40% chance with maybe 0.14 inch total.

This is one of the worst droughts I can recall. The last real rain we had was at the beginning of September. That pasture was cut for hay back in August. Should be much higher by now. For comparison, I bush-hogged the area immediately adjacent to the trees just two weeks ago. SMH.

View attachment 106911

View attachment 106912

View attachment 106913

View attachment 106914
I know they sell that Sumac in nurseries now. But around here we do our best to get rid of the stuff. It's invasive and will take over your yard is you don't keep at it. Up until a few years ago, I don't recall ever seeing Sumac except in vacant city lots. As for haying , we've had plenty pf rain here and most fields have been cut twice - once in June and again this month.

I know they sell that Sumac in nurseries now. But around here we do our best to get rid of the stuff. It's invasive and will take over your yard is you don't keep at it. Up until a few years ago, I don't recall ever seeing Sumac except in vacant city lots. As for haying , we've had plenty pf rain here and most fields have been cut twice - once in June and again this month.

Not gonna get into invasive vs. non-invasive, as it is often a matter of location. I had a crop guy from Indiana pull into my place to buy some equipment. He jumped out of his truck and took one look at my hayfield and said, "OH MY GOD, don't they make you kill that Johnson grass?"

"Hell no," says I, "that Buck's damned good hay!"

"Where I live, they make you kill it out as a noxious invasive, or they fine you daily for it."

Of course, where he lives, crops rule.

I like the way sumac looks in the fall. This stuff has looked just like it does now for about 2 decades, so it's not really invading. POISON sumac is very invasive. But this isn't that.

We typically cut hay in early and very late August or September. Did this year, too, but it was pathetic. I have friends in NJ who have been bitching about rain, rain, rain all summer. Not here. Rainy spring and early summer, then that was it.

The .014 inch predicted for Monday has already been whittled to .007". I would not be surprised if we get nothing.

I saw this picture and said Oh My!!! My wife was sitting next to me and asked what are you oh mying to. I turned the computer and she agreed, but then reminded me we have 2 in the basement that were $3.99/lb and then the half from the cow we had butchered. I think we will be set on brisket for a bit.

Latest posts

Back