WineXpert Port kit recommendation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is very subjective but I never made a port wine.
Since the limited release kits are now being announced I'm looking to see which may be good.

My online retailer is offering WineExpert at $104.95 with free shipping:
1. Chocolate Raspberry Dessert Wine
2. Blackberry Dessert Wine

A LHBS supply carries RJS and has some in stock from last year at $95:
1. Cru Specialty White Chocolate
2. Cru Specialty Orange Chocolate

I really do not know much at all about ports but like chocolate.
Looking for feedback on the above options, both RSJ and WE at the same quality level?

Last edited:
I've made all of these kits and my preferences would be, in order:
1. Orange
2. Raspberry
3. White
4. Blackberry
If you can, try some of these before you buy because it really is quite subjective.

And if you like coffee flavors the Coffee Port is great.

This was sent to me from some place in Florida:

Effective immediately, Winexpert and their distributor LD Carlson have most likely colluded and implemented a price fixing MAP scheme (MAP = Minimum Advertised Price) to screw you, the consumer into paying higher than ordinary prices in the marketplace for your Winexpert Port wine kits. This policy voids free competition and a free marketplace which causes higher than ordinary consumer prices. Proponents who support MAP will disagree and say we have the right to sell it for whatever we choose but we cannot advertise it for less. This ultimately forces higher than ordinary retail pricing and makes finding a bargain much more difficult which is the goal of MAP. VOTE NO with your pocketbooks.

This new policy has been started with the scheduled release of their annual Chocolate Raspberry Port and Blackberry Port wine kits. The announcement states one of the reasons for doing this is for the "fairness to all retailers". In-other -words, they are fixing the prices to be higher than would be set in a free marketplace so as to allow fairness in competition so that all their merchants can make more money. Or it can be interpreted as screw the consumer and let the merchants make all the money. No more bargains for the consumer.

Last year we sold the Chocolate Raspberry Port kits for $69.95 up to $79.95 and we've even sold them for $99.95 delivered. This year they want everyone to price them at $104.95 each. You'll see every web site pricing these kits at the same $104.95 - that's not the America we know nor is that a free and competitive marketplace.

If a merchant doesn't "comply", the retailer will be "prohibited from participating in the promotion". How do you like these strong arm tactics!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

True dat Dawg. The choc rasp port is good, not near the trouble . Now, the Black Forest port is awesome! And easier! Gets my vote after 3 batches.

True dat Dawg. The choc rasp port is good, not near the trouble . Now, the Black Forest port is awesome! And easier! Gets my vote after 3 batches.

That Cru Specialty Black Forrest is also available locally for $95.

As it was mentioned above, I should try before I buy but I wonder if you can get these port styles at the liquor store?

I neglected to mention the Black Forest port and, as mentioned, it is really quite good, although mine is still very young. If you like Black Forest cake, you'll love this one!

I wonder if you can get these port styles at the liquor store?

I doubt you will find any of these already bottled because they are not true ports, I have never seen anything close in a wine or liquor store.

I've made the RJS orange-chocolate, and the Black Forest. Both are great.

I was interested in the WE ports, but won't buy them, now that WE has engaged in their little price fixing scheme. :m

Thanks guys for the feedback.
I don't like or drink coffee by the way, so anything with coffee flavor is not an option for me.

I am extremely disappointed in Winexpert and their price fixing. I have made the Chocolate Raspberry port twice now and had planned to make my 3rd one this year. I made the Spagnols Coffee Port and it is exceptional. I am just finishing up last years RJ Spagnols toasted caramel port and don't know how good it will be yet. I will not make a winexpert port this year and instead will make Spagnols ports this year. The black forest port sounds really good or maybe another coffee port.

I've made the RJS orange-chocolate, and the Black Forest. Both are great.

I was interested in the WE ports, but won't buy them, now that WE has engaged in their little price fixing scheme. :m

Jim, does the black forest taste like coffee? I do not drink coffee.
I am still debating between those 2 and the orange-chocolate sounds good.

Can you define the taste of those 2 please.

Jim, does the black forest taste like coffee? I do not drink coffee.
I am still debating between those 2 and the orange-chocolate sounds good.

Can you define the taste of those 2 please.

The orange-chocolate is as it sounds. The Black Forest is more like cherry/chocolate, with a little german chocolate cake thrown in. I served both at a neighbors party this weekend and the Black Forest was the favorite. I will say I was a better, more experienced winemaker when I did that one, so that may play into it. ;)

Thanks Jim, I think I may try that one.
I assume you made that black Forrest towards end of last year. I assume it needs at least 6 months....

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Thanks Jim, I think I may try that one.
I assume you made that black Forrest towards end of last year. I assume it needs at least 6 months....

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Started on Sept 2nd.

I added sugar, getting the SG to 1.112. I also step fed at ~1.075, bringing the SG back up to 1.090. After stabilizing and adding f-pac, it got about 3/4 of a bottle of brandy.

I made the coffee and black forest last year, and they were ready to drink pretty soon after bottling. Gave them as Christmas presents.

This year I preordered the coffee and caramel from finevinewines. My plan is to add heavy toast oak cubes and espresso powder to the coffee one. I will add heavy toast oak, vanilla beans, and maybe some sea salt to the caramel one. I'll fortify both with a little brandy.

The blackberry was tempting but I can do that one next year. They make it sound really premium with the "no water added" language but the RJS kits have more volume.

Heather

Don`t foget Mosti Mondiale,La Bodega port kit....It`s Real nice

I've been looking around and not many carry that La Bodega port kit.
Online prices are not cheap and my closest HBS has it for $125.00 :s

Yup, I paid $135 delivered for mine. Really hoping it's one of those "you get what you pay for" things. Just starting bulk aging now. Only time will tell.

Latest posts

Back