RJ Spagnols Port has arrived!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine isin glass now too. After adding the f-pack I had to add a handful of marbles to top up. It's chillin' in the wine room at a cool 60 right now.
smiley1.gif

Sounds good guys as Im waiting for my choc. rasp port to stroll in hopefully soon.

At last, the CO Port is about to commence. I anticipate yeast-pitching to commence within the hour!

Yeast has been pitched, but not without a bit of bedlam. Sloshed a wee bit onto the floor, and managed to pop the airlock gasket down into the mix, where it still lies. Other than that it went great!

smiley19.gif

Sanitize that arm and get it outa there trashy. Dont want no Chocolate/Orange/Rubber Port

Sure, no problem, just dont cup your hand and steal to much on the way out!
smiley36.gif

I may retrieve it when I check SG but I decided that it's less rubber than the main gasket holding the spigot in....

racked into my handy-dandy 3-gallon carboy over the weekend - had to taste a little (of course)

WOW! It's almost ready to drink!

OK, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but that tasted SO GOOD!

Bert and I just started the Orange Chocolate Port. It's like going ona tripeach time we start a kit. The directions are, as stated earlier in this thread, a little different from what we are accustomed. And 2 packages of yeast. Never seen that before...
smiley5.gif
But, I am following instructions to the letter. (This is very difficult for me. I'm sure I can make it better!
smiley2.gif
) I am excited about this new adventure.

Id love to give that 1 a try as I bought the choc rasp cause i know my wife would like that 1. When we go to a chocolate store I always get the chocolate orange peels.

We racked the Port a few days ago and it is very clear. we will bottle it today. Would'nt you know it...when we were racking a small amount spilled right into a small glass that was sitting near by!!
smiley2.gif
.....why let it go to waste? It was very good. I dont think we have enough corks for the bottles(1 short. LOL)
I hope Mrs.Chevy doesnt mind saving 1 bottle from spoilage tonight
smiley36.gif

Congratulations! How handy that it spilled right into that glass. Enjoy your tasting tonight.

At bottling Mrs.C described it as a "godiva" Chocolate type of taste with a very slight orange finish.The body is a little light but im sure that will come around with time. the ABVwas about 16.8% which we think is just right for us with this "port type" wine. It has a nice color as well.

We bottled it tonight because we had to rack our Apple to secondary(SG of 1.018) We were so busy bottling,tasting,racking, tasting,cleaning,tasting that we didnt even think of the pictures. I'll post em we we get them labled and capped.

PWP,

Two packets of yeast can't hurt and can only help. Nothng mysterious there. My mentor taught me to toss two packets a long time ago, so when I make non-kit wine, I always use two packets. Is it necessary? I doubt it. But it connects me with my mentor and brings back pleasant memories of being a rookie winemaker under his tutelage. With your port kit, it might be very helpful if the starting gravity is very high.Edited by: dfwwino

has anyone finished there kit yet whats it like I have one and will start it after new years,i agree it shouldn't need fortification,how ever if a boot to your taste buds is needed a shot or so of ever clear won't hurt
smiley36.gif

My Choc Rasp is ready to rack off sediment from clearing and my La Bodega is at the point to add oak as its below 1.000.

My Orange Chocolate Port is aging in the wine room. I have to ensure my wife doesn't make into the wine room with anything resembling a straw
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back