Poor planning: won't be able to rack on shedule

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepherdQ

Pusser Newbie
Reaction score
I've made an error in judgement, it seems. Based on the kit instructions I should be racking and stabilizing 20 days after starting secondary fermentation, but I'm going to be out of town for a week and a half either side of the estimated date.

So here's my question: should I rack and stabilize about a week early, or leave the wine on the lees of the secondary fermentation for about two weeks?

Details:
Kit: RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series California Cab Sav
Started 21 October
Starting SG 1.097
SG on 25 October: 1.050
Anticipated racking date: 28 October

So I can either rack on November 11-12 or December 1-2.

Leaving in secondary for an extra week shouldn't hurt as long as you have it under airlock and are reasonably topped up. In fact, a lot of people will tell you to leave it longer than the instructions say.

Thanks Boatboy, will do. I wonder what kind d of difference this will make to the taste?

Most everythng abot winemaking is pretty forgiving. It is a great hobby for a procrastinator like me. A little extra time shouldn't hurt a thing. Arne.

Thanks Boatboy, will do. I wonder what kind d of difference this will make to the taste?

Probably nothing at all. I've had a couple batches that I've left sitting for an extra few days to a week. I don't think there was any impact at all. I think the kit instructions are written to get you bottled and drinking your new concoction as quickly as possible. As with most things involved with winemaking, a little extra time doesn't hurt, and often is a benefit.

Good point Boatboy, I hadn't thought of the manufacturer's imperative to get us buying another kit ASAP.

Arne, thank goodness for that. As much as I want to be precise life often seems to get in the way.

Since you've already racked out of primary, you'll be dealing with fine lees. Fine lees will not negatively impact your wine in 10 days or anything close to that.

Focus most closely on SG and let that be your guide. When dealing with dry wines, instructions invariably say some amount of SG or lower. They never say or higher. Take that as meaning you can do as instructed beginning when the SG level gets down to that level but not before.

Simply stated, don't stabilize ahead of time.

Tony P.

I agree. I've had batches which I forgot about or otherwise couldn't get to to rack when it needed it, and it didn't hurt them a bit to leave them an extra week or two.

Latest posts

Back