Just Received My Eclipse Nebbiolo Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phase 2 ...................

Attachments

• IMG_20160212_172058685_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160212_172058685_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • 12a.jpg
    12a.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 14c.jpg
    14c.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20160212_172058685_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160212_172058685_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
No skins or oak in that kit? Is that why you added the syrup, currants, and oak? Nope, on cl;oser inspection, I see they did include oak --granules, or chips? My kit had skins and 2 packets of oak granules. Also 2 packs of oak cubes to add after fermentation is over.

Nope, not going to overthink it. Will just follow directions.

SG down to 1.008 today.

I think that each kit has its tools to construct it's end.
That's were the taste profile comes in.
Was yours a higher end kit, can so the process still remains the same.
Correct?

My nib kit is very rich and has good depth in structure I'll let you know when the Hammoton wine contest comes around this March.

Day #9 -- SG reading has been 1.000 yesterday and again today. Instructions had said leave cover loose, stir and punch down skins daily. But today, after no SG change, I locked down the lid and added the airlock. The instructions also sat fermentation takes around 14 days.

Instructions also say leave in the primary fermenter until SG <.996. But if I don't see any bubbling by tomorrow, should I go ahead and rack into the carboy?

Well, that went well --- NOT. The airlock was loose in the grommet. So I pushed it down more and it pushed the grommet right out of the hole -- and into the wine. Where it promptly sank. So I put the lid back on loosely with a cup over the hole.

Last edited:
I started this kit in September '18 - carboy aged for nine months, then bottled aged. Started sneaking bottles at a year (this past Sept.) and now I find myself with only thirteen bottles left. Good kit. One thing I will say is that Winexpert's oaking regime for this kit gets you nowhere near what a commercial Italian Piedmontese Nebbiolo tastes like as far oak. I'm more than ok with the more fruit-forwardy less oaky Neb, but other's may not be. I'm trying to lay off my remaining bottles except for the one I entered in the Winemaker 2020 contest - which I have relatively low expectations for at 18 months...

THE NIB KIT.......ready for competition...........................Phase 1

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 8a.jpg
    8a.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
THE NIBIT PHASE 3.....................so far so good.

Attachments

• 14a.jpg
    14a.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • 13 - Copy.jpg
    13 - Copy.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
I just finished racking into the carboy and degassing. I sure don't care for the WE instructions on this kit. Racking deredged up too much sediment. I do think it would have been better off to rack into the carboy around 1.02 SG, with no stirring until it was ready for degassing. Stirring every day, as instructed, I think has kept too many solids in suspension.

The instructions say to bottle (if clear) 45 days from now. Would it be of any benefit at all to rack into another carboy in a month, than wait another month before bottling.

I just finished racking into the carboy and degassing. I sure don't care for the WE instructions on this kit. Racking deredged up too much sediment. I do think it would have been better off to rack into the carboy around 1.02 SG, with no stirring until it was ready for degassing. Stirring every day, as instructed, I think has kept too many solids in suspension.

The instructions say to bottle (if clear) 45 days from now. Would it be of any benefit at all to rack into another carboy in a month, than wait another month before bottling.

Yes! 45 days is the earliest and nothing I’d recommend. This is a kit that benefits greatly from aging. Best bet to let a good bit of that to happen in carboy. Bottle when you’re sure your wine is done dropping sediment and is otherwise “ready.”

Always, always, always bottle from a clean carboy.

I pretty much have to bottle age the wine. The only place I have for the carboy is in the garage and, probably by the end of March it will be too warm for aging wine.

I pretty much have to bottle age the wine. The only place I have for the carboy is in the garage and, probably by the end of March it will be too warm for aging wine.

Ah. Okay. I’d still recommend a good racking into a clean carboy even if you’re bottling at the minimum. If you use an AIO, it’s great for degassing.

Last edited:
I degassed yesterday. I only have the one carboy. So I think after a month, I will rack into the bucket, clean the carboy, then rack back into it for another month. Or as long as I can leave it before the garage starts getting too warm.

I did a World Vineyard and Eclipse Nebbiolo back in October, both using BM 4X4. I accidentally opened a WV Nebb this past weekend, thinking it was a beaujolais from last May. I was pretty stunned by how good it was drinking. I'm optimistic that both of these are gonna turn out pretty damn good. Hopefully yours will too.

Latest posts

Back