Quantcast

Poison cactus pear wine

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

DizzyIzzy

Reaction score
Thanks Dawg and Franc. Yes I used a pear burner to burn off the glochids. I thought I may get be the hero of the season with family by making some good wine for them.
The first five gallon batch I gave my brother and his son a glass before I figured it was the wine had made me sick. My brother went to emergency that night. He thought he had contacted Covid. Son had the same reaction I had. Im sure not the hero with those guys!
I poured out the ten gallons and started ten more thinking the grinder had crushed the seeds and somehow released a poison. I used a different fruit prep. I just crushed the fruit and strained the juice.
It’s in the second fermenters now but I’m afraid of it.
You can bet when I try this batch I will try only a half oz to see what effect it has on me.
Prickly pear grows around here in abundance. Iv’e used it for years for jelly and syrup without issue.
The wine had a great color, smell and taste.
I’ll post how this batch turns out.
Again thanks for your reply. Ken
I don't know whether you are courageous or foolish to try it again. If it were me I could contact the local health department or county extension agent and ask their advice. Good luck......................................................................................DizzyIzzy

Ken Paw Paw

Junior
Reaction score
Guess I’m foolish or maybe hardheaded. But your advise is good. Making some pineapple wine starting tomorrow. If I can’t get for sure answers on the cactus pear, I’m done with them. No one seems to know much about them but every part of the plant is edible is what the internet says. Thanks for your input Dizzy. I’ve sent some of the juice to a couple of WT members. Waiting on their reply’s. Thanks again for your post.

NoQuarter

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Guess I’m foolish or maybe hardheaded. But your advise is good. Making some pineapple wine starting tomorrow. If I can’t get for sure answers on the cactus pear, I’m done with them. No one seems to know much about them but every part of the plant is edible is what the internet says. Thanks for your input Dizzy. I’ve sent some of the juice to a couple of WT members. Waiting on their reply’s. Thanks again for your post.
Had 2 glasses last night. Quite good, a little thin, maybe be a little glycerin needed. Color of pink lemonade. 1 year old. I'm still thinking your PH let some bad boys grow? Think I'll add some sultanas or maybe even some bananas this to me for more body.

Ken Paw Paw

Junior
Reaction score
Thanks for your post NoQuarter. I messed up some how. I’m glad yours turned out well so maybe there’s hope out there. Everyone in the know thinks it’s the pH. I can fix that.
I’ll have to dump this last ten gallon batch. Breaks my heart because it does taste very good. Thanks again

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
FYI: the juice from CACTUS PEARs.
first of all this is an exceptionally intense beautiful red/ clean juice. Flavor as sent is hard to describe, green vegetable notes/ not fruity. It will make a neat wine!
6313698E-14A8-455E-AFE2-C88E07BA0B10.jpeg
Gravity . .1.026
pH . . . . . 4.69
TA . . . . . .0.12%
C24B9342-210B-4BBE-A56F-C31B24D329EC.jpeg
your question about a recipe ,, how much acid for a cactus pear wine?
. . . suggested target for a country wine . . . .

pH 3.2 to 3.6 with a TA of 0.65 to 0.75% , , , a dry wine
pH 3.0 to 3.5 with a TA of 0.7 to 0.85%, , , , a sweet table wine
* acid is roughly 4 grams per level teaspoonful therefore I would add at least four and likely as much as six teaspoons per gallon of this juice. ,,, add before you can the juice, the food plant rules are if the pH is below 4.0 you could use a boiling water bath.
* metabisulphite in the primary I use up to .2 gram per gallon and racking 0.1 gram per gallon, (a Campden tablet is also metabisulphite and is good for a five or six gallon carboy)
* sugar on this sample was approximately 6.25% and my goal would bring it up to a gravity of 1.090, AKA 25 or 26%
,,,, cactus is an interesting project ,,,,

Last edited:

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
I was playing with the graphics program and the graphic above looks better on a log scale. The logic here is that pH is a measure of the log of the acid ion (hydronium) therefore it should be one log scale against another log scale.594C2F93-ED54-4D61-9ACB-486B1587DEE4.jpeg

Latest posts