Plum Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericonthehill

Reaction score
I strated a very small batch of plum wine today. I was given 4 lbs. of dried plums so I went and got 3 lbs. of fresh plums, de-pitted and sliced them. Added one container of white grape juice and acid blend, tannin, nutrient and pectic enzyme, and campden of course, and sugar and a little water. I hoping the dried plums will juice out well. All my plums are in bags to help with clean up. This will be a one gallon batch. I'll put more specifics if requested.

Sounds good. Plum is my favorite fruit wine thus far. Hopefully my trees will all produce this year!
230889_4825984569819_203928361_n.jpg

Not sure if this is good or bad...I used 4 lbs. of dried plums and didn't account for how many lbs. of plums that would be if hydrated. I did add water to make up a gallon, but I'm currently looking at a primary that is thicker than I'm used to, yet very sweet and tasty. It is fermenting nicely, atleast until the temp in the garage dropped. Brought it in today to let it warm back up and get it going again. Any thoughts on a thick wine? At this point I'm thinking this could be a good thing.

So far so good, but this stuff is really dark...smells good though. Racking it for the first time today, I think this will take another or racking or two after this. The stuff isn't actually thick, but more like a red wine.

The petic enzime will break the fruit down into a good juice. That should have some great flavor!
as an afterthought you could have rehydrated the plum first.

Probably could have got atleast twice as much out of the dried plums if I had hydrated them first. Also would have had a more accurate sg at the beginning. It's sweet, but has a solid taste to it. Definently worth keeping. With it being so sweet and made around Christmas time, I'll call it Sugar Plum Wine.

Back