Plum wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmiddle3

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got a great deal on some small plums (17#, free)... I've also got a bottle of cherry concentrate (Fruitfast) handy.. Anyone have input on how this combination should come out? I'm also curious, do you have to pit the plums, or can I simply cut/crush the plums and toss them in the bag?

you definately want to pit the plums, then you should probably freeze them for a short time to get better juice extraction. you want to add the skins to the must also. make sure you check the acid level of your must especially if you add the cherry concentrate because both will be acidic. I added red grape concentrate to my batch and it helped retain great color as well as adding body.

BOB

Fivebk: I am curious, why do you pit plums? I have never pitted them and have had no problems.

Smokegrub said:
Fivebk: I am curious, why do you pit plums? I have never pitted them and have had no problems.

I've got to say, I like to hear that... I was concerned that there would be a sour/bitter tase from the pits. No??

Plum seeds contain cyanogenetic glycocides, a substance that can change
into a killer in the body. The body can detoxify small quantities of
cyanide, so lots of plum pits would need to be consumed to die from the
poison.What that amount is is uncertain to me but Id rather leave the pits out of the equation entirely!!!!!!!!

Wade, you are absolutely correct. Plum pits contain cyanogenic glycoside. So do apples, cherries and peaches. I think you will find that it is the kernel inside the pit that contains this substance. I would not crush the pits of these fruit. I used to freeze them and mash the thawed fruit with my hands in a straining bag. Now I steam juice the fruit to avoid the heavy lees otherwise produced.

Im not sure if the pectic enzyme could make the fruit release any of that cyanide but Id rather not take that chance.

First and foremost you must have a steamer/juicer. No tricks, just freeze the fruit first. I prefer no less than two weeks freezing myself. Then just thaw the fruit and add it to your steamer/juicer. Generally takes 40-50 minutes to do each batch.

If you steam the fruit, am I correct in assuming that you arent using the pulp and skins?? Ifso, do you have to adjust the tannin for your recipie?

I do not use the pulp/skins from fruits i steam juice but others do. To me, it is pretty much a tastelless, odorless mass of goop and I just chunk it. You will get sometannin extraction from steam juicing too but I always add some to any fruit wine I thinks needs it.

I've been tinkering for about a year and feel pretty comfortable in making "decent" wine. But, the thought of tating it to determine what it needs still evades me a bit. Can you describe how you would know to add tannin? It adds "texture" to the wine, correct?

It adds body and mouthfeel to the wine. If you think its very thin and needs to be slightly thickened this can help a little if it is really lacking in this area then the addition of Glycerin would help greatly in this area.

You guys have beena great help.. I've been using glycerin, but maybe I'll start modifying my tannin as well.

Latest posts

Back