Plastic vs glass carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwand

Reaction score
Good afternoon. I am about to start my second kit now that my first attempt at wine making (Eclipse CS) is tucked away aging. What's the story with plastic carboys. I just had to pay $44 for a 6 gallon glass carboy from my local shop. I could purchase it cheaper on line but the shipping costs cancel any bargains. I see that plastic carboys are cheaper and are advise as ordorless, easy to clean etc. Thanks for any input.

In recent past, there have been many threads about this exact subject. You might check them out.

A lot of it is personal preference. I use both and love both.

Better Bottle:
Non-breakable
Very lite
But cannot rack into it with a vacuum pump or use vacuum for degassing
Can scratch easier.

Glass:
Breakable
Heavy
Easy to use vacuum on it
Won't easily scratch

I've now got 4 carboys, the 4th bought about 2 weeks ago is plastic. I'll be using the plastic one, for the first time, 4 days from now. I can say that it was definitely easier to to wash and sanitize (which I will do again before transferring). Even considering empty glass vs. plastic carboy I was much more relaxed carrying the plastic carboy down the stairs to the cellar.

I agree with Robie 100 percent....except:
No matter what they do to a plastic bottle it will never be as clear as glass.
When i really want my wine clear i move to glass, so i can watch it.
I think glass cleans easier.

Thanks Robie and bkisel. I am new here. Is there a fast way to search for a topic so I do not repeat what has been answered? Thanks. Computer dense I guess.

Thanks Robie and bkisel. I am new here. Is there a fast way to search for a topic so I do not repeat what has been answered? Thanks. Computer dense I guess.

Go to new Posts tab; near the top will be a line - search posts.

You can go there and do your search.

BTW the co-owner of the LHBS I do business with twice talked me out of getting a plastic, BB, carboy. However last time I was in the store she and the family were on vacation so I was able to sneak in my BB purchase without her knowing. :i

A Better Bottle may look like plastic, but it is not plastic.

what....pet and Hdpe, rpet are plastics,polyester,polymer of ethylene glycol plastics are a in a group of thermo plastic polymors. It is a hydroscoptic, allow heated formation until it is dried.
I had to do a 6 mos study on plastics while working at Quaker State Oil/Preston antifreeze about what the out come of packaging said product would be for bottling each in a different polymers. Some wanted a flexible plastic, while others wanted a ridgid plastic.
The addition of various resins determine the plastics ridgidness.
It is in fact a plastic.

I prefer glass carboys - myself. But then I do use vacuum like Robie mentioned to transfer and bottle and such.

This article does have me concerned! What are "other stresses"? Could alcohol being inside the carboy be a cause of stress? :m

Ref. from article...

"For now, it is literally impossible for consumers to know which plastics might contain hormone-disrupting chemicals, so the old advice holds: Avoid heating plastics, leaving them in the sun, putting hot materials in them or putting them through other stresses if you're planning to eat or drink their contents."

Thanks...

Scary stuff. I will stick with glass. Plus I just ordered a pump from Vacuumpumpman so plastic is out.

I have only used glass. This was really the only thing available when I started.

What I like about glass is that they are more rigid and clear. They also have a smaller mouth (unless BB is shaped differently then most plastic bottles) so I simply feel like it seals better with a stopper and trap. This is just my opinion and I am sure other will argue. I just get a more secure feeling with glass.

To get around the "breakable issue" my father in law (RIP) created wooden frames that surrounds each carboy. The frames surround the entire carboy (including the bottom) with wood so no hard impacts on the concrete floor or against each other when stacked on their sides (another benefit to the frames). The frames also provide plenty of hand holds when moving them. Most of my carboys are 20+ years old and I have not had a broken one for as long as I can remember.

My experience with plastic is that because of their lack of rigidity I need to support them from the bottom when I move them and so I use milk crates to carry them. Like JohnT I have had problems with ensuring a good seal when I insert a bung and now if I use plastic I tend to use the plastic caps (those with the double nipple) that fit over the mouth rather than inside it

James is right. In the strictest sense, BB's are plastic (certainly by definition of the process). However, there is a world of difference between, say, a plastic water bottle and a Better Bottle.

BetterBottle® fermentation carboys are: are: 1) Designed to be strong, scuff resistant, easy to handle, and essentially unbreakable, 2) Pure – Taste- and odor-free, BPA-free, DEHP-free, and plasticizer-free, 3) Virtually impermeable to oxygen, 4) Clear and colorless, 5) Incredibly light weight, and 6) Extraordinarily easy to wash and sanitize (no brushes necessary). BetterBottle carboys are not at all like other plastic carboys. The special PET, used to make BetterBottle carboys, is non-absorbing, non-porous, and non-wetting (hydrophobic), so it will not carry over flavors from one batch of wine or beer to the next and it is easier to clean and sanitize than glass or other plastics.

You notice they refer to it as a fermenter carboy, not a bulk aging carboy. To me that means fermenting (alcoholic and MLF), and maybe initial clearing. IMO, they are not meant for long term bulk aging.

One other nice thing about a Better Bottle is it can expand and contract without necessarily expelling or inhaling gas through the air lock. This can cut down on the intake of air when the pressure increases outside the carboy.

Wine Maker magazine did a story on some testing of solid carboy bungs. They are not as well sealed as one might think. There is a lot of air (gas) leakage around it when the pressure outside changes.

A BB will reduce this leakage because the bottle itself can better expand and contract with pressure changes.

I do however prefer glass because I like to use my vacuum pump for degassing and racking. I have found that one should always remove the solid bung from a filled BB before moving it. It tends to want to pop out when the bottle is slightly squeezed.

As JohnT pointed out, a wooden frame built permanently around a glass carboy is a nice thing to have. So many carboy breaks are due to seemingly incidental contacts with other carboys or anythng else that might come into contact with it.

I have a buttload of glass carboys that I've accumulated in various sizes. Most are 1 gallon. I have 1 BB carboy. I love it! Anytime I have a wine I know I'll be moving a lot, doing additives etc. I make sure to rack it from the primary into the BB. I've bulk aged in it for as long 1 year and had no problems at all with seals or oxidation. Why do I have so many glass? Cuz they were given to me, or because they used to hold wine or juice. If I'm buying a carboy, I'm getting a BB.

I have 4 glass carboys and have had no problems with them for the past 3 years. However I am thinking about buying a BB just to see how it might be. From the replies posted here it sounds like it's personnel preference and how you intend to use them.

I have approximately 30 glass carboys of various sizes and 2 BB's, a 5 and a 6 gallon. I only use the plastic for interim operations (racking, fining, sulfiting, etc.) and use the glass for everything else. I do not let the wine stay in the plastic for more than a couple of days except in an emergency. No special reason. Old school. Started using glass, like the cleanliness and stability of glass. I do like the price of the plastic vs. glass, but one can't have everything.

For Glass Carboys, check Craigslist - I bought 6 high quality for $140... Also got the bungs and airlocks for each.

Latest posts

Back