Plans for 2020?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What acid corrections did you make? Were you shooting for a specific TA number or a pH target? I've done both, and definitely a TA number is much easier and more exact than pH. Good luck with this one, it should be nice.

I was shooting for 3.65 pH. Added 1g/l in the Cab and 2g/l in the Shiraz. I normally do a half or 3/4 dose but this time I did the full dose. Cab is around 3.57 and the Shiraz came to 3.62, both readings were taken a few hours after the addition so it may be different now. I brought the SG of the Cab up to around 1.100 with a lb of sugar in each bucket.
Yeasts:
Shiraz - D254, D80, CLOS, Syrah
Cab - D254, D80, BDX, MT
I was going to use your Avante but forgot about it.

I was shooting for 3.65 pH. Added 1g/l in the Cab and 2g/l in the Shiraz. I normally do a half or 3/4 dose but this time I did the full dose. Cab is around 3.57 and the Shiraz came to 3.62, both readings were taken a few hours after the addition so it may be different now. I brought the SG of the Cab up to around 1.100 with a lb of sugar in each bucket.
Yeasts:
Shiraz - D254, D80, CLOS, Syrah
Cab - D254, D80, BDX, MT
I was going to use your Avante but forgot about it.

Ha-Hopefully you can use it this fall. I don't know how you keep so many separate ferments separate. Do you sterilize the punch down tool between each combo to avoid mixing up the yeasts?

I've corrected 2 wines for TA/pH POST fermentation and it did not hurt the wine like I feared. It definitely improved the Rose which was light on Acid and significantly improved the Tempranillo which was fairly low acid to start with. It's making me wonder if correction before fermentation is absolutely necessary. (Though I fully plan pre-ferment correction in fall 2020).

Ha-Hopefully you can use it this fall. I don't know how you keep so many separate ferments separate. Do you sterilize the punch down tool between each combo to avoid mixing up the yeasts?

I've corrected 2 wines for TA/pH POST fermentation and it did not hurt the wine like I feared. It definitely improved the Rose which was light on Acid and significantly improved the Tempranillo which was fairly low acid to start with. It's making me wonder if correction before fermentation is absolutely necessary. (Though I fully plan pre-ferment correction in fall 2020).

I figure the small culture left on the masher won't amount to enough to take over the batch. Religiously started doing pre ferment adjustments in the fall of 2018 when I started doing only all grape wines, although the fall of 2019 I was probably a little lax. If acid levels were close I let them go since at one time there were 20+ fermenters going. That was way too many so this year I'll be doing larger batches and less varietals.

I’m also thinking of doing a carboy or two field blend this year. I have Cab Franc, Petite Sirah, Mourvedre, Petit Verdot at my disposal.

In the past I’ve added a little PS and PV to my Cab Franc. Last year I made a couple carboys of PS/PV, but it’s going to take a few years for it come around to be drinkable.

I’m thinking of a Mourvedre / PV blend, but I don’t think those are common blending partners. Any combos you see that would work?

I realize that Syrah and Petite Sirah are not at all the same grape. Still, I would be influenced by the commonality of Syrah/Mourvedre blends (okay, okay, usually with Grenache/Garnacha) to try a PS/Mourvedre blend.

9 ways to skin a cat! And that’s the beauty of this hobby. I’ll still be goin for broke with acid additions to the must if needed —- 3.6 or bust! No more games!
Minor tweaks later aren’t so bad, although Id still prefer to avoid them. It’s just a pain with the bench trials, second guessing myself, and easily under or overshooting. And if it’s a large addition needed I 100% feel more comfortable allowing the magic of AF & MLF to take place with my adjustment already priced in - so that when complete & stable there’s no more messing with the chemistry & all ready to age gracefully.
I have absolutely no science to back this up — but it just ‘feels’ like the wine is more forgiving this way, with a full band rockin n rollin alongside. Post AF adjustments have no backup singers. All alone. So if you miss a note- everyone hears it! Lol
Also gonna try and regulate temp w/ frozen water jugs. Hopefully I can get another couple days out of it
And for $35 I think I’m gonna pick up the YAN testing kit too giving my nutrient regimen a little confidence boost.

Back