WineXpert PITCHED MY FIRST BATCH!!! Austrailian Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@starsfan

I am glad you are posting and letting us know your thoughts and concerns !

Airlock - Just make sure that you have enough headspace or use some sort of a towel to cover your vessel - to keep out the nasty bugs at this time of year

Temperature - I believe you should be OK - I always ferment in a cooler part of the basement - so when fermentation does take place it will not sky rocket as if I would of put it in a warmer part of the house.

Please sit back and enjoy the hobby - just remember -patience ,patience and then a little more patience.

Thanks Steve! BTW...received the pump, but can't use it just yet. Shouldn't be long now though...I have got you on speed dial though just in case! LOL

Appreciate the welcome!

Steve

Thanks Steve! BTW...received the pump, but can't use it just yet. Shouldn't be long now though...I have got you on speed dial though just in case! LOL

Appreciate the welcome!

Steve

Make sure you try using the pump with water prior to needing it - so in case you have any questions you can email me and I can call you and walk you thru the entire process if needed.

For those interested, fermentation has been going strong. Pitched the yeast on Saturday about 5pm-ish...so things have been happening in the bucket for roughly 83-ish hours now. Fermentation is still going but it has slowed quite a bit. I am guessing it will finish up sometime tomorrow night! Also, during the heaviest bubbling, the temp rose pretty high. As it has slowed, the temp has started to drop a little. Yesterday the smell was pretty strong filling the house but today it isn't nearly as strong. I am hoping all these things are pretty par for the course! I am thinking I will be racking to secondary tomorrow night, or the next. ;-)

Thanks,
Steve

Did you know your SG? I'd rack it depending on that, not the appearance of the rate of fermentation.

Some rack it earlier than others. If it was in a bucket covered with a loose lid or towel of some sort, some snap down the lid and add an airlock around SG 1.010, others rack it to a carboy and place an airlock on top.

Since I do mine in a closed fermenter with an airlock, I usually just let it go dry 0.99?, when I get three days of the same SG I rack it to a clean carboy.

The idea is to rack it to protect it from outside influences as fermentation slows down. An airlock will help keep outside stuff (oxygen, fruit flies, inquiring noses) from getting in. I personally would worry about moving it too early unless I stirred the lees up before racking. That's one reason I use the airlock from the beginning so I don't have to move it so early.

Did you know your SG? I'd rack it depending on that, not the appearance of the rate of fermentation.

Some rack it earlier than others. If it was in a bucket covered with a loose lid or towel of some sort, some snap down the lid and add an airlock around SG 1.010, others rack it to a carboy and place an airlock on top.

Since I do mine in a closed fermenter with an airlock, I usually just let it go dry 0.99?, when I get three days of the same SG I rack it to a clean carboy.

The idea is to rack it to protect it from outside influences as fermentation slows down. An airlock will help keep outside stuff (oxygen, fruit flies, inquiring noses) from getting in. I personally would worry about moving it too early unless I stirred the lees up before racking. That's one reason I use the airlock from the beginning so I don't have to move it so early.

Hey Craig,

I have not checked the SG yet. it was my understanding to leave it alone until the airlock stopped creating bubbles...no?

Anyway, the airlock is still getting s stream of bubbles about every 4 to 5 seconds. if I need to check SG now, then I can do that once I get home tonight.

Hey Craig,

I have not checked the SG yet. it was my understanding to leave it alone until the airlock stopped creating bubbles...no?

Anyway, the airlock is still getting s stream of bubbles about every 4 to 5 seconds. if I need to check SG now, then I can do that once I get home tonight.

I would because it gives you an idea of where you are in the process. I wouldn't have guessed my batch was down to 1.022 last night, but in reality it is the first time I used BDX yeast, so how could I know, that's why I checked.

You are much more patient than I am, that's a good thing in a winemaker!

I would because it gives you an idea of where you are in the process. I wouldn't have guessed my batch was down to 1.022 last night, but in reality it is the first time I used BDX yeast, so how could I know, that's why I checked.

You are much more patient than I am, that's a good thing in a winemaker!

Ok so I went ahead and popped the lid.....it is smelling really good in there! :)

So I am still new to reading the hydrometer and I was really having trouble getting the thing to face me in the right direction so I could get a solid look at where it was sitting. I have it in the corner and had no way to walk around to get a better look. I did take 2 pics of the hydrometer so I could post them here and get some feedback. As I see it, it looks to be about 1.000 ish. here are the pics I took:

Screenshot_2015-09-16-17-10-52_zpsi5uktscl.png

Screenshot_2015-09-16-16-47-38_zpspetyyk1h.png

Thanks,
Steve

Hey Craig,

starsfan,
You should check the SG just before pitching the yeast to get your starting SG. This starting number and the final SG can be used to figure out the abv of your wine. The hydrometer will also help you determine when fermentation is finished. Didn't the instructions with your kit say any think about checking the SG at the start? Good luck with your wine and if you have other questions someone will be here to help.

LOUMIK:b

starsfan,
You should check the SG just before pitching the yeast to get your starting SG. This starting number and the final SG can be used to figure out the abv of your wine. The hydrometer will also help you determine when fermentation is finished. Didn't the instructions with your kit say any think about checking the SG at the start? Good luck with your wine and if you have other questions someone will be here to help.

LOUMIK:b

Thanks Loumik!

I did check the SG before I pitched the yeast and it was at 1090

I just have not checked it since I started the process! ;-)

Ok so I went ahead and popped the lid.....it is smelling really good in there! :)

So I am still new to reading the hydrometer and I was really having trouble getting the thing to face me in the right direction so I could get a solid look at where it was sitting. I have it in the corner and had no way to walk around to get a better look. I did take 2 pics of the hydrometer so I could post them here and get some feedback. As I see it, it looks to be about 1.000 ish. here are the pics I took:

You can twirl it if you need to. You can also sanitize the long tube that sometimes comes with it and add a sample to that. Sometimes easier to read. I do what you do since I'm lazy and don't want to clean the tube, easier just cleaning the hydrometer.

Looks like maybe 1.002 or 1.003, can't see the scale on the side really well, so just a guess as I see some yellow that must be the 1.000 to 1.005 or 10 designation.

The fact that it is smelling really good is a great sign. If it had the smell of sulfur or cooked eggs, that would mean that the yeast is having nutritional issues and might not finish totally dry. The fact that you are near 1.000 and it smells good seems to me that it is doing really well.

You can twirl it if you need to. You can also sanitize the long tube that sometimes comes with it and add a sample to that. Sometimes easier to read. I do what you do since I'm lazy and don't want to clean the tube, easier just cleaning the hydrometer.

Looks like maybe 1.002 or 1.003, can't see the scale on the side really well, so just a guess as I see some yellow that must be the 1.000 to 1.005 or 10 designation.

The fact that it is smelling really good is a great sign. If it had the smell of sulfur or cooked eggs, that would mean that the yeast is having nutritional issues and might not finish totally dry. The fact that you are near 1.000 and it smells good seems to me that it is doing really well.

I have been very surprised that I have not seen anyone who has done this particular kit. Almost every other kit I looked at, I can find a thread where someone made it and there were comments on how it turned out and if it was good or not. I was hoping to find someone who had made this particular one...but I guess I get to just be completely surprised! LOL

It does smell very good, and the color looks really good (to me) also. I could see there were still some active yeast moving about the bubbles but I am guessing that maybe it will fall to under 1.000 either tomorrow or the next day. Technically tomorrow will be the 5 day mark and the kit says 5 to 7 days...so even with the high temp in the primary I seem to be on target time wise. the temp got up to as much as 89 for a bit so I was worried it would ferment to fast...but that doesn't seem to be the case! I will be at the Garth Brooks concert tomorrow night so even if it hits the right number...it will have to wait at least until Friday before I can rack...but I guess it could still even be 2 or 3 days before it hits the mark?!?!? So far I feel pretty good about it. Can't wait to check it out. I was going to take a little sip today just to see but it still had to much floating in it that I do not care to have in my mouth so I will wait for it to settle more before I attempt a taste! LOL

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and comments...its greatly appreciated!

Steve

Ok, today I racked to secondary (using the AMAZING ALL IN ONE WINE PUMP!)...and I have a slight delima...

So after racking, as per everything I have seen online I poured 2 bottles of commercial wine in my kit wine to top-up the carboy. after doing so, I went back to the directions with the kit. it specifically said DO NOT top up because you would need that space to add clearing and finning agents. OPPS....to late. there is still a little headspace so I am hoping all will be well.

I took a sample after transferring and the taste while not bad....really was more alcohol then anything else. I am hoping as secondary processes...the flavors of the grape will come forward and the alcohol will blend in to the background a bit.

thanks...
Steve

What you need to do is find another vessel, I use 3 and 4L wine jugs that are sanitized, and rack that amount out before you degass and add the clarifiers. This will give you head space so that the ensuing CO2 outburst when degassing doesn't become a carboy volcano (been there, cleaned that one up more than once). After degassing and adding clarifiers, add back in what you racked out and you will be fully topped up and ready to let it hang out and not have to worry about it oxidizing because of a large head space.

Even with a large head space gap you should never worry, unless it will stay in that carboy for an extended period of time (4 + weeks). Hope that helps.

At this point, I am not even sure of what I should be looking for. I fermented in primary to completely dry so in secondary there isn't anything visibly going on. I will confess that I have shaken the carboy a few times because that seems to produce the foamy bubbles that rise to the top (CO2 I am assuming?) and I am guessing this can only be a good thing for helping to degas???

Anyway...the instructions say for it to be in the secondary for 10 days before checking SG again. It says im looking for 0.996 before adding the stabilizer and clarifiers...but I think the SG is already there. should I continue to wait or just proceed when SG is reached?

Thanks,
Steve

I recommend that you wait at least the time the instructions say. This wine can get down to .990 when it's done fermenting. But remember, converting must to alcohol is only one of the things that happen during primary and secondary. Just as important, especially in secondary, are the other chemical reactions that take place. It's those reactions where you will get the long term contributors to taste and feel. They take time to happen. So check the SG, but wait the minimum time, and a little longer in secondary is a good thing.
Besides, this is the fun part. Once you hit the degassing stage it's not so much fun. I'm looking forward to your observations on that :)

OK NEW PROBLEM!!!!

so as stated above, I have been shaking my carboy a little each day causing bubbles to rise to the top. I have just assumed this was a GOOD thing to be doing. I have just read that doing so in secondary is a bad thing and could cause spoilage or oxidation to the wine. do you think I have hurt my wine? I will stop this practice immediately but I am concerned that I may have already hurt or ruined the wine. it is supposed to sit until Monday when I will be re-racking again, and adding stabilizer and clarifiers.

Thoughts, comments? PLEASE????

Thanks,
Steve :(

I really don't think you've hurt anything. I'd leave it alone though, remember it's also dropping sediment (clearing) and you'll want as much settled on the bottom of the carboy as possible.
Sounds like you're doing good.
Mike

OK NEW PROBLEM!!!!
so as stated above, I have been shaking my carboy a little each day causing bubbles to rise to the top. I have just assumed this was a GOOD thing to be doing. I have just read that doing so in secondary is a bad thing and could cause spoilage or oxidation to the wine. do you think I have hurt my wine? I will stop this practice immediately but I am concerned that I may have already hurt or ruined the wine. it is supposed to sit until Monday when I will be re-racking again, and adding stabilizer and clarifiers.(

Don't worry, all you have been doing is stirring up the lees and degassing a bit. So long as you have an airlock on the carboy you can be sure there is no oxidation because you are releasing CO2 from the wine which then forces anything in the headspace out of the airlock. This is a good thing, but it will happen naturally so you can just leave it alone.

OK NEW PROBLEM!!!!

so as stated above, I have been shaking my carboy a little each day causing bubbles to rise to the top. I have just assumed this was a GOOD thing to be doing. I have just read that doing so in secondary is a bad thing and could cause spoilage or oxidation to the wine. do you think I have hurt my wine? I will stop this practice immediately but I am concerned that I may have already hurt or ruined the wine. it is supposed to sit until Monday when I will be re-racking again, and adding stabilizer and clarifiers.

Thoughts, comments? PLEASE????

Thanks,
Steve :(

Hi again :p
In my opinion you have done no harm.
It may have even helped your wine.
The lees (dormant yeast and dead yeast) are a great food source for yeast and can bring complexity to your wine.

Stirring up fine lees is a practice used.
Its called "Sur-Lie-Aging".
http://winemakersacademy.com/sur-lie-aging-explained/
this link has lots of information on this :p

Latest posts

Back