Pineapple wine is YUCK! Need input.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojabri

Frequent Lurker
Reaction score
I have a pineapple wine started back on May 13th.

I can't seem to find my recipe, but it was a 15 gal batch made primarily of 22 fresh pineapples cored ( no flesh). I did add a few cans of extra pineapple, guava, and a bag of other tropical fruit blend. I primaried it Dragon Blood style. It was transferred to the Demijohn on May 19th at SG of 1.000.

When I checked it on June 16th it smelled and tasted of rotten pineapple. You could taste the alcohol, but it was GROSS!

I was hoping that it would mellow out, but alas, Nooooope!

I'm hesitant to rack from the demijohn until I have an idea about what to do with it. Its pretty yuck, to the point I have considered taking it over to a friend who has a still. Yeah.. I know.. Ya don't have to tell me.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be because is sitting on lees, and pineapple is a heavy sediment dropper? Would there be any way to remedy this, perhaps chemically or through filtering?

Thanks in advance for any insight or help.

what was the TA? Pineapple isn't high in acid and get it off the lees and splash rack it.

Back