Picked up some grapes today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevininPa

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Picked up some fresh grapes today. Drove 3+ hours to get them.
Some pictures

DSC00614.jpg

DSC00621.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

Kevin, I was just going to what kind since you live in the grape belt and that you must have gone to the Finger Lakes. I understand there is a good place to buy juice up there also. Are you aware of it? Sounds like a road trip!

Looks like approximately 30 gallons in the making. They grow Syrah in the finger lakes? I would have thought that would be a tough one up there.

Looks like approximately 30 gallons in the making. They grow Syrah in the finger lakes? I would have thought that would be a tough one up there.
You'd think it would be too cold, right?

Looks like approximately 30 gallons in the making. They groy Syrah in the finger lakes? I would have thought that would be a tough one up there.

I think it all depends on the location. There are certain micro-climates that can handle vinifera. Vineyard location on the lakes is a big factor too. Seneca lake is 618 ft. deep at its deepest point. This keeps the temperatures around it moderate so the vines survive winter. If you can get early bud break and no frost, the fruit should fully ripen. Some people up there are growing Syrah, Sangiovese, Albarino, Cab Franc, Cab Sauv., Merlot, Pinot Noir. 2007 was a very good vintage year for this area. Supposedly 2010 will rival it, if not be better. Hopefully.

Kevin

Kevin, I was just going to what kind since you live in the grape belt and that you must have gone to the Finger Lakes. I understand there is a good place to buy juice up there also. Are you aware of it? Sounds like a road trip!

Hi Dan,
The place to buy juice up there is Fulkersons: Fulkersonwinery.com. They are located north of Watkins Glen on the west side of Seneca Lake. There is a price list on their website. I have never purchased juice there, but i have had Vignoles wine from their juice and it was superb.

Kevin

Hi Dan,
The place to buy juice up there is Fulkersons: Fulkersonwinery.com. They are located north of Watkins Glen on the west side of Seneca Lake. There is a price list on their website. I have never purchased juice there, but i have had Vignoles wine from their juice and it was superb.

Kevin

Cool, we'll talk about it Saturday at the party. Like I said, sounds like a road trip!

Latest posts

Back