Peisporter Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD25

Reaction score
Hi all. The piesporterI started on December 26th is clearing nicely - actually quite clear. I have racked it 3 times in the past 2 weeks. How longshouldI wait to bottle?Do I need to add the camden tablets to the wine before bottling,I have spoke to 2 wine shops with different perspectives? I'm a novice at this so any input would be great.

Thanks,
JD

Welcome JD,
Is this a kit wine and who was the manufacturer?

The Piesporter is a good early drinking white so won't need extended aging,so the normal doses of K-Meta included in the kit should be OK. If it is good and clear now, it could be bottled now, but bulk aging another few weeks to a month would guarantee that there are no more suspended solids to drop out.

OK....I'll have time this weekend to bottle the piesporter. I have viewed a piece of white paper behind a sample and it looks (and tasted!) great. DoI need to do anything else the wine before bottling? How long should I wait to drink it?

Should I wait a little longer.....i'm getting anxious?

I would give it a month after bottling, to get over any possible "botttle shock", which can cause your wines flavor to go into hiding. Hopefully, you will have a partial bottle left overto enjoywhen bottling.
Dave

JD, Welcome.

I agree with Dave on the 30 day bottle shock thing, but it's your wine, you can drink it when you think it's ready (or you just want a drink). This is why I like bottling a few small bottles (187ML, or 375ML),it allows me to taste test as I age. We made a piesporter and like it very much. My inclination on every batch however is to put a few bottles to one side for a couple of years, so I have gotten in the habit of adding a extra 1/4 teaspoon of Meta before bottling. For me, I see no difference in taste with the extra, or with out. If I think I can taste it, just decant for a while before drinking.

Pictures of bottling would be awesome.

Thanks to all for your responses. Yes, this is my first bottling. I have an outo siphon. Can I jusy connect the end of the tubing (attached to the aout-siphon) to the bottle filler? What's the easiest way tot bottle?

I'll take a few pictures asI go, should be interesting and maybe a little messy.

One more questions, camden tablets are K-meta, correct? If so, how many should I crush to add to the bottles? When you say 1/4 teaspoon, is that per bottle or some other amount?

This site has been very helpful.

JDEdited by: JD25

JD the 1/4 teaspoon is per 6 gallon batch. The tablets are generally one per gallon, not bottle!
smiley2.gif

Yes as long as the tubing you have fits the filler you can use that. Sometimes if it is a little tight run the tubing under some hot water and it would slip on then. Once the tube is full of wine, it will stay in it with the filler on it. Just move from bottle to bottle.

Ok. Last question on camden tablets. OnceI mix in the 1/4 tsp/ 6 gallon, do I have to let the wine rack longer or does it have to be bottled right away? I see just a couple small items that have fallen out in the last racking. Edited by: JD25

JD the 1/4 teaspoon is for6 GALLONS, not one. Not it does not need to bottled right away- it can age for however long you want as long as the carboy is topped up.

Thanks appleman. My mind works faster than my typing ablilty. 1/4 tsp per 6 gallon carboy!

Back