Pectolytic enzyme preparation for must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derevo

Reaction score
Hi, any one doing Pectolytic enzyme must clarification before fermentation, what do u use for it?

Thanks a lot!

I use pectic enzyme on my white grapes only. I have used both the liquid and powder form and either one works well. After crushing, I add the proper dose per manufacturer recommendation to the crushed grapes. Since I crush in the late afternoon, evening, I let them set overnight. I then press then the following morning. Most varieties it helps increase the yield while pressing more gently reducing harshness of the must.

Thanks fo reply

Why im ask about this, in some books i read about some operations before fermentation to get maximum clear result. Pectolytic enzyme must clarification is one of them.

I find interesting for me doc in internet, im attache it to the post, where u can see enzyme was used in both cases, red and white. Also im hear about good result when using bentonite and gelatin before fermentation.

Someone has a similar experience?

grapeman - how many liquid pectic enzyme u use for white wines?

Thanks alot!

Screen Shot 2012-11-07 at 9.51.28 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-11-07 at 9.53.10 PM.jpg

I use it in all my whites mainly also as it prevents a pectin haze. It comes in liquid and powder form here in the USA and the liquid is typically very concentrated small bottle in which you use like 2 drops per gallon. It also helps wines where any actual fruit is involved to help break down the cellular walls of the fruit to help extract better color and tannins in the wine so yes it is used in reds and whites. There are generic forms and then they can get pretty specialized for certain applications.

Back