Using pectic enzymes for the first time for pear wine, am I doing it correctly?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some pear juice that I juiced myself. I wanted to increase the clarity of the juice so I added some "pectolytic enzyme" liquid. I added too much enzyme according to the measurements on the bottle. Is it dangerous if I add too much of it? I want to ferment this juice into pear wine(will add sugar to get 14% and use lalvin d47) and I read a bunch of articles about how pectic enzymes are responsible for methanol formation in fermentation. The juice cleared up completely just half an hour after adding the enzyme. Will it be safe to ferment this?

Also, I heard that this enzyme is used in the extraction stage of the fruit, it it therefore wrong to add it to juice that has already been extracted?

Last edited:
You can add pectic enzyme at any time. I prefer to add prior to fermentation as it helps break down fruit structure which aids in exaction. Post-fermentation you need to add 2 to 3 times as much to get the same effect.

I've never heard of a dangerous level of pectic enzyme. How much did you over-do it?

@CrystalClearSky I found your predicament interesting and did some research to satisfy my curiosity. Adding too much pectic enzyme "might" extract too much tannin from grape skins and it "might" reduce the color. Other than that, pretty darned safe.

And @winemaker81 I never doubted what you said. You're always a reliable fount of knowledge. I just wanted "more".

And @winemaker81 I never doubted what you said. You're always a reliable fount of knowledge. I just wanted "more".
Dave, I'm FAR from infallible. I'm happy that you researched and presented more extensive information. I've stated numerous times that this forum is far better than any site or blog, because we spot check each other. You just proved me right. Thanks!

:r

Dave, I'm FAR from infallible. I'm happy that you researched and presented more extensive information. I've stated numerous times that this forum is far better than any site or blog, because we spot check each other. You just proved me right. Thanks!

:r
I'll go even further...
I truly think WMT has compressed possibly years of reading, trial and error, and experience into months. An INCREDIBLE resource for the newbie. To me it really is the Fun Wine School.

Oh, and I get to ask the super cool teachers questions and they don't say, "Well, it's obvious!"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back