Pecautions when Using Old Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT_Keg

Junior
Reaction score
Precautions when Using Old Bottles

A lady at my work recently overheard that I needed a few wine bottles in my first endeavor into making wine. She donated 24 bottles to me (they have been stored in her garage for a year or two). Most of the bottles were stored upside down and are moderately dirty... the others were stored right side up and have particulate both inside and outside the bottle.

I plan on using some unscented cleaner, hot water and a bottle brush... Are there any other precautions I need to take (besides sanitizing) to make sure these bottles won't contaminate the wine? If the bottles look clean is that good enough? I guess I am thinking into it too much :)?)... I just don't want my first batch to get messed up.

Thanks in advance!

MT

Last edited:
You can also run them through the dishwasher and use the sanitizing dry. The heat should do a good job sanitizing the bottles.

Thanks Novalou... That's a great idea! Unfortunately my diswasher doesn't have a sanitizing dry; but it does have and option for Hi Temp Wash, Hi Temp Rinse and Heated Dry... I am sure this will do the same thing.

Thanks again,

MT

Most wine makers are careful when cleaning everything - even brand new bottles - and seldom use a dishwasher for cleaning. The reason is that effort should be taken to avoid imparting flavors or odors to the bottles which will get into the wine. Have a look at the article here on cleaning and sanitizing.

My suggestion is to get yourself some PBW at your local home brew shop and use it on the bottles with a bottle brush. If you decide to use the dish washer, run it with only water.

BTW, even if you use a sanitizing dry, use a sanitizer like Star San or k-meta before bottling.

Last edited:
Another option is to clean the bottles thoroughly then wrap a small piece of tinfoil over the opening followed by heat sterilization in an oven. After the sterilization the bottles can be stored for months as long as you keep the tinfoil cap on. Then prior to bottling all you need to do is remove the tinfoil and fill. Simple.

Another option is to clean the bottles thoroughly then wrap a small piece of tinfoil over the opening followed by heat sterilization in an oven. After the sterilization the bottles can be stored for months as long as you keep the tinfoil cap on. Then prior to bottling all you need to do is remove the tinfoil and fill. Simple.

I agree that heat can be used to sterilize the bottles. However, it's never prudent to use anything (except ingredients) in wine making without sanitizing prior to use. I wouldn't leave a bottle an hour without sanitizing it even if it was closed with a piece of foil.

Last edited:
I would give them a nice bottle brush action with b-brite or star san solution, then soak them in the solution , I always use my bottle rinser or sulfiter before I place the bottles on the bottle tree for an extra bit of protection.

I agree that heat can be used to sterilize the bottles. However, it's never prudent to use anything (except ingredients) in wine making without sanitizing prior to use. I wouldn't leave a bottle an hour without sanitizing it even if it was closed with a piece of foil.

Exactly, this is why I use the tinfoil method, so I can do a final rinsing with plain water. Although, I acknowledge a spritz of kmeta likely is insignificant. I can see how the thought of leaving bottles around with only a tinfoil cap could be asking for a disaster. But in reality there are very few types of contaminants that are going to be able to grow up the outside of the bottle, under the tinfoil and then hang a u-turn into the bottle....

This is actually the method for sterilization and storage of beakers and flasks in the majority of microbiology research labs and where I pulled the idea.

I scrub mine in soapy hot water using a drill mounted brush, run through my dishwasher on high temp wash, no dry. Then k-meta sprayed into bottle for 5 min. and hung on tree. Then they are used straight off the tree.

Also if you rinse your bottles good and store upside down you won't have so much to scrub.

You can take your bottle brush ad cut the loop off the end and it will fit in your drill. I use one for stubborn bottles.

Exactly, this is why I use the tinfoil method, so I can do a final rinsing with plain water. Although, I acknowledge a spritz of kmeta likely is insignificant. I can see how the thought of leaving bottles around with only a tinfoil cap could be asking for a disaster. But in reality there are very few types of contaminants that are going to be able to grow up the outside of the bottle, under the tinfoil and then hang a u-turn into the bottle....

This is actually the method for sterilization and storage of beakers and flasks in the majority of microbiology research labs and where I pulled the idea.

Yes, I certainly agree with you that heating and storage with foil is among the standard methods used in labs, at least at the university level. I had a different vision of what you were describing. Having said that, I give everything a spray with Star San or k-meta before I get started so including the bottles is easy.

I am though going to think about sterilizing and storing my bottles ahead of time.

I rinse mine when they are emptied then hang on the bottle tree. When I'm ready to bottle, they get a few shots on K-Meta from the red, round, bowl with the bottle squirting spout in the middle dohickie (I know it has a name). I set them on the counter until the process is complete then empty them a second time going in the same order I rinsed them, so they have sat for about 10 minutes. Then I fill with happy juice.

When cleaning used wine bottles I brush away anything visible, then soak overnight in Oxyclean. (This also helps with label removal the next day.) I then rinse in the hottest water I can stand, inspect again, drain, and before storing in boxes, spray with sanitizing K-meta and place upside down in the box. When it's time to bottle, I rinse again with K-meta and let it drain upside down until I fill it. No problems so far.

Back