Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

My friend has 2 HUGE pear trees, so I picked 100 pounds of them and juiced them up. After putting the juice in the fermenter, I got my 6 gallons. I put in 5 Campden tablets, and all the wild yeast just vanished. I also added 8 cups of sugar, and yeast. (This is my first attempt to make wine from fresh fruit.)I added the yeast too soon. I should have waited till it had been 24 hours after the Campden tablets setteled everything. ( I have this stirer that I made to use with my drill. Works GREAT!) It started fermenting in the middle of the night, (With a BANG). After it fermented over the last 3 weeks, all fermentation stopped. I checked it and it was 10% Alcohol by volume. I strained it with a coffee strainer. So I wanted more alcohol content, so I added 8 more cups of sugar, Yeast Energizer, and yeast. Does anybody have any experience with Pear juice and doing a "Re-Fermentation"? The pear is a subtle taste and I added no other flavoring. I wonder if I can add "Pear Juice" to make it taste more like pears. I used "BOSC" pear fruit.

Thanks, Andrew

Andrew, welcome to the forum.

It sounds like this pear wine is light bodied, and being so will be better at 10% abv. Adding juice to a stabilized and finished wine is called 'suss reserve', and is a very good idea. Stabilize with sulphite and sorbate.

Latest posts

Back