Peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steamer

Reaction score
Peach Wine First Attempt

Hi,
I've done dozens of grape wine kits and a two batches of wine from grapes. About ready to try a peach wine. Reading about making peach wine, some say the wine comes out kind of "thin". Several recipes call for 3#/gal. I would like a peach wine that has a noticable peach flavor. I intend to ferment to dry and back sweeten a tad. So I'm wondering what the right amount of peaches I would need. I'm guessing 5 to 6#/gallon. Another question, one recipe said to slice your peaches and freeze them first. Seems like a good idea to break down the cell structure to release the flavor, etc. But another writer said that freezing peaches turns them brown and recommends not doing so. Any comments on that? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Yes, 5-6# of peaches per gallon will give U a nice Peach Wine. We make 10 gals each year. We just wash them, de-stone, slice into 1/8 th or smaller slices, & ferment. I ve learned to use a little more petic enzyme than typical. We rack every 3 mo, bottle at a year or more. Peach can take a while to clear. Roy ps never tried freezing peaches

I've done peach twice and have frozen them both times. No browning, but I get 'em in the freezer as quickly as possible. My two batches have been 8-10lbs per gallon and I'll throw a couple sliced bananas (skin on) in there for body.

Thank you all

I've read abut using bentonite so I'll be sure to do that. I like the idea of freezing the peaches so I'm glad to hear that went well for Boatboy. Also, I'm glad to know that 3#/gallon is not enough. I'll be going with 6 or more!

Latest posts

Back