Peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambam1

Junior
Reaction score
I have about 65 pounds of peaches. Okay to use all to make a 5 gallon batch of wine?
Most of the recipes I have seen call for 2 1/2 pounds per gallon. One recipe I saw called for 12 to 15 pounds per gallon.
What is the difference and how do I compensate for more peaches and less water?

That would be way to much as the sugar content would push the abv way to high for any yeast to handle. I strongly urge you to follow a recipe and keep the starting SG around 1.090 unless you want to make a Port and if thats the case I would ask Waldo or Jobe for their recommendations as they seem to be the Port kings here.

Bam: Welcome to the forum.

First rule of thumb for all fresh fruit wines, More is not better.

Pounds per gallon of fruit, Particularly Peaches is going to depend on the fruit variety, sweetness ripeness etc......

I have several peach trees in my yard, two of the trees are productive. One tree has yellow freestone peaches that are very juicy and sweet, the other is a white flesh freestone peach that are sweet but on the dry side. I used 5 pounds of fruit per gallon and it's OK, but not all that peachy flavor that I wanted.

I would recommend, using your hydrometer, take an SG reading of the fruit juice itself as you mash them up (just juice, no pulp) This will help you with the amount of sugar to add, to reach your target ABV. Which I would keep at or below 11%

Peach wine does take a lot of peaches per gallon. My guess is however that 2.5 pounds per gallon isn't nearly enough. I would start at the 6 pound mark and work my way up to 8 if needed. When I do this, I make my recipe for a five gallon batch, and usually end at a 6 gallon batch.

You could also stick to your gutt feeling, you can always make changes i.e. add more peaches during fermentation or sweeten back with a frozen Welch's Peach flavored grape juice (from your local grocer)

Edit: More peaches should give you more must, more must equals less water. Again............. More isn't always better........ It might be for flavor, but don't forget balance.

Edited by: jobe05

Excelent point Jobe. Here, here.

Too many peaches, too little water and you get a thick material that isn't quite wine. Interesting thought that it may be, you'll probebly be disapointed.

I agree with Jobe. Start with a certain amount (6 pounds per gallon) and as youadd your waterto them, taste your must yourself till you find the flavor you want. Then add the sugar. Just don't forget to leave enough room for the sugar.
Perhaps start like you're making a three gallon batch and after you find the right combination, add whats necessary to make you 5 or 6 gallon batch.
Again, taste always till it reaches what you think it should be.

Make sure you use the pectic enzyme with peaches as this fruit contains more pectin lb. for lb. then most any other fruit.

OK. Thank you for the ideas. I have somewhere to start.
I will let you know how my 1st batch comes out.

Back