Quantcast

paw paw wine ... extrapolation a good idea?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

wine newbee

Reaction score
I had a nice paw paw harvest this year in eastern NC; what's left is now frozen in my stand-alone freezer.

I'm wondering about making paw paw wine. Maybe ~1 gal? Can I thaw and squish out an amount of paw paw meat that would correspond to the weight of grapes I'd use for 1 gallon of wine? Of course, there's the sugar addition that has to be considered. Maybe 2 gallons would make more sense? I didn't wanna do a ton, since -- if it bombs -- that would be a major waste.

thx, guys, for any ideas/feedback/anecdotes/ etc ....

mitch

PS: since paw paws aren't really sugary-sweet (unlike figs), the sugar addition might be kinda iffy? I wouldn't know exactly where to start with that .....

VinesnBines

Reaction score
I used 9 lbs of peeled/frozen pawpaws (in a mesh bag), 6 lbs of sugar, 4 1/2 t citric acid, 1 1/2 t tannin, 3 t of yeast nutrient I first poured the sugar over the frozen pawpaws and poured 2 1/2 gallons boiling water over the sugar and frozen pawpaws. When the must cooled I added the nutrients, acid, tannin; 12 hours later I pitched EC 1118 yeast. After a fast ferm, I racked off 2 3/4 gallon. After a month I racked down to two gallons. It was another month before it began to taste better. It took five months to clear and I finally was able to bottle eight months after starting. I haven't tasted; I read that it may be four or five years before it mellows.

wine newbee

Reaction score
wow! Thx, Vines -- exactly what I believe I needed. I dunno if I'm patient enough to wait umpteen years for the mellowing process. Maybe no choice if I'm serious, though. Is there a specific reason you used frozen paw paws? I have no problem with thawing 'em. I have all the ingredients, so that would be an easy start. Is there a source you used that referred to paw paws in wine-making? Much obliged ....

Mitch

VinesnBines

Reaction score
I froze them because I didn't have enough at one time for wine. As you know the shelf life is about 30 seconds. I just googled around and found various recipes. Most were the same, 2-3 lbs of pawpaw per gallon and 2 lbs of sugar. I didn't get a SG reading at the start. I'm not sure with the pulp if a reading is possible. My notes show the bag swelled before I pitched the yeast and it was a mucky mess. TONS of sediment. I did peel them and tried to remove the seeds. I was able to remove seeds better as the pulp broke down in the fermentation.

I didn't get any pawpaws this year. Not in the woods at the right time and my trees are too small to produce. I've been starting trees from seed.

wine newbee

Reaction score
OK -- makes sense to me. I have 5 trees (and maybe 100 little volunteers) on my property; about 8-9 years old, and I bought them as 1-ft-tallers from a New Zealander who lived near the NC coast [and said he dug the little trees up from the banks of the Cape Fear River]. Several ~ 20' or more tall now, 1 maybe 8' and 1 (for some reason) ~ 6 feet.

Thx a heap for the data. Yeah, they mos' def don't keep -- people ask me why they don't see paw paws in stores, and I'm sure that's the reason. I doubt I'll peel -- when I add pp's to yogurt (for a meal), I just split the thawed fruit in the middle and squish out the "guts", seeds and all. Easy, but I have to remember to not bite down on a seed later........

VinesnBines

Reaction score
All the recipes I read suggest peeling. I think the peel is pretty bitter.

wine newbee

Reaction score
Yeah -- I didn't clarify in my last post: once I squish out the meat of the paw paw, I toss the peels in the garden mulch. Never tried eating the peels on their own ayhhow .....

wine newbee

Reaction score
I used 9 lbs of peeled/frozen pawpaws (in a mesh bag), 6 lbs of sugar, 4 1/2 t citric acid, 1 1/2 t tannin, 3 t of yeast nutrient I first poured the sugar over the frozen pawpaws and poured 2 1/2 gallons boiling water over the sugar and frozen pawpaws. When the must cooled I added the nutrients, acid, tannin; 12 hours later I pitched EC 1118 yeast. After a fast ferm, I racked off 2 3/4 gallon. After a month I racked down to two gallons. It was another month before it began to taste better. It took five months to clear and I finally was able to bottle eight months after starting. I haven't tasted; I read that it may be four or five years before it mellows.
OK, Vines -- I'm wondering (now that I've actually begun the process) ....

When you wrote "a fast ferm", exactly how fast was that? Maybe something I can play by ear -- to see when gas production has stopped?

Also: you used Lalvin 1118 yeast; the only yeast I have on-hand is Lalvin D47; I don't recall why I have that type -- other than the brewing shop owner telling me back-when [before I ever considered making paw paw wine] I should use it instead of 1118.

Thx a heap for any kind of feedback on this; s/b an adventure, no matter what ....

Mitch

VinesnBines

Reaction score
The pawpaws started fermenting before I pitched my yeast. It was vigorous for several days. According to my notes, I racked out of primary in 7 days. Not super fast but plenty vigorous.
I used EC 1118 because I had it on hand and the recipe said to use champagne yeast. I’m sure D47 will be fine. It probably will bring out the fruity taste.
I opened a bottle tonight. It was nice and clear and the aroma was definitely of pawpaw. It had a little aftertaste from some grapefruit juice I used to top up in the secondary. I think a little backsweeten may be in order. That aftertaste May fade over time. I won’t suggest using grapefruit juice to top up although I have made a wonderful grapefruit wine.

VinesnBines

Reaction score
Update. I added a little sugar and that cut the grapefruit tang but the after taste was still there. I suggest removing the seeds before fermenting. I still hope that fades in time.

Latest posts