fig wine or paw paw wine a possibility?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine newbee

Reaction score
I'm not finding any data anywhere on making paw paw wine (Jack Keller or not). Does anybody have a clue about this? Maybe I should just experiment -- maybe treat the paw paw meat the same as I would pear, or apple? It has a custardy texture, and is a pain to separate from the big seeds, but good stuff (to me).

I usually have tons of figs from my various trees each summer (brown turkey, celeste, yellow ischium, black mission), so any advice on making fig wines?

Much obliged for any feedback .....

Mitch

I'm not finding any data anywhere on making paw paw wine (Jack Keller or not). Does anybody have a clue about this? Maybe I should just experiment -- maybe treat the paw paw meat the same as I would pear, or apple? It has a custardy texture, and is a pain to separate from the big seeds, but good stuff (to me).

I usually have tons of figs from my various trees each summer (brown turkey, celeste, yellow ischium, black mission), so any advice on making fig wines?

Much obliged for any feedback .....

Mitch

Here's a thread from WMT on paw paw wine: https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/pawpaw-wine.57874/#post-723853

The OP, @Stressbaby would probably be happy to share any additional information you need.........

Read up on the pawpaw wine here and on Keller's site. (Google Jack Keller pawpaw wine and it will come up.) I made a batch of pawpaw this fall. It never had the nasty smell others complained of but it doesn't have a lot of flavor and body. I started 3 gallons and ended up with 2 after the second racking. I'm hoping time will improve. Also I could not get all the seeds out so I don't know how that affected the wine. Give it a try and keep us posted on the progress. Also keep us posted on the fig wine. I would love to have enough fresh figs for wine. I think it has a sherry flavor. Again Google Jack Keller fig wine and you find two recipes.

Thanks, guys -- I'll try again. I saw a long listing on Keller but there wasn't anything for paw paws. Maybe I was looking at the wrong listing .....

Google the specific; Keller's site is near impossible to navigate.

Update on my pawpaw wine. I started it on 9/12/19. 9 lbs, 3 gallons of must. Racked out of primary on 9/20 and ended up with 2 gallons and 3/4. Added 1 pt water and 1pt grapefruit juice to the 3/4 gallon. Had 3 gallons again. Racked on 10/19. Resulted in 2 gallons. Taste was nothing but alcohol. Racked today to 1 3/4 gallons. Taste is starting to develop. Much better than the cheap Pinot Grigio that I was using for top up in my dandelion batch. I’m optimistic.

Thanks for the notice @Johnd.
I've made both fig and pawpaw. Pawpaw is far better in my opinion. I've used 5#/gallon. Get the seeds out. You'll need an acid adjustment, try 50/50 citric/tartaric or straight tartaric, aim for 3.2-3.3 range on pH (I didn't get a TA but I'm guessing 7.5-8 range). Backsweeten it a little. I have some in the freezer, need to make another batch this winter.

I've made both apple wine and cider with pawpaw puree added, still and carbonated. The yeasties beasties love the pawpaw, very high in sugar content. I think this makes for a more tasty and stable wine than pawpaw would alone. Successive racking and filtering is needed unless you want a lot of lees in your bottles, as the pawpaw likes to float a long while in suspension. It adds a unique fruity flavor that's definitely all its own!

I've made fig twice now. The second batch has been in secondary a few weeks now. BOTH developed flowers, the second batch I have on the counter to start fighting the infection hopefully today. Knee surgery is delaying my winemaking, during fruit season. Argh.

Tastewise, it's a mellow wine. Subtle fig flavor without tasting like a fig wine. I like it, and I don't even really love figs - my dad as a tree, so I said Why not try it?

Bit of advice - I think I know why I have flowers. I froze them, and defrosted in water with kmeta, then squished them. I think I should have defrosted, squished, Then added kmeta. I think there were nasties hiding within the figs that the kmeta didn't get to. Live and learn. I use a mesh bag for fruit, and I really suggest doing so as they have a lot of pulp. However, my second batch is clearing nicely - under the flowers, that is. 😭

My dad says his tree doesn't look like there will be any figs this year, so I'm really upset that this batch is having an issue. Wish me luck.

Latest posts

Back