fig wine or paw paw wine a possibility?

Discussion in 'Beginners Wine Making Forum' started by wine newbee, Nov 13, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Nov 13, 2019 #1

wine newbee

wine newbee

wine newbee

Junior

I'm not finding any data anywhere on making paw paw wine (Jack Keller or not). Does anybody have a clue about this? Maybe I should just experiment -- maybe treat the paw paw meat the same as I would pear, or apple? It has a custardy texture, and is a pain to separate from the big seeds, but good stuff (to me).

I usually have tons of figs from my various trees each summer (brown turkey, celeste, yellow ischium, black mission), so any advice on making fig wines?

Much obliged for any feedback .....

Mitch

2. Nov 13, 2019 #2

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

Here's a thread from WMT on paw paw wine: https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/pawpaw-wine.57874/#post-723853

The OP, @Stressbaby would probably be happy to share any additional information you need.........

Stressbaby likes this.
  3. Nov 13, 2019 #3

StFrancis

StFrancis

StFrancis

Junior

Keller's site has 2 pawpaw and 1 fig wine recipes.

4. Nov 13, 2019 #4

bshef

bshef

bshef

Highland Meadow Vineyard

Read up on the pawpaw wine here and on Keller's site. (Google Jack Keller pawpaw wine and it will come up.) I made a batch of pawpaw this fall. It never had the nasty smell others complained of but it doesn't have a lot of flavor and body. I started 3 gallons and ended up with 2 after the second racking. I'm hoping time will improve. Also I could not get all the seeds out so I don't know how that affected the wine. Give it a try and keep us posted on the progress. Also keep us posted on the fig wine. I would love to have enough fresh figs for wine. I think it has a sherry flavor. Again Google Jack Keller fig wine and you find two recipes.

5. Nov 13, 2019 #5

wine newbee

wine newbee

wine newbee

Junior

Thanks, guys -- I'll try again. I saw a long listing on Keller but there wasn't anything for paw paws. Maybe I was looking at the wrong listing .....

6. Nov 13, 2019 #6

bshef

bshef

bshef

Highland Meadow Vineyard

Google the specific; Keller's site is near impossible to navigate.

7. Nov 14, 2019 #7

wine newbee

wine newbee

wine newbee

Junior

will do, b; I gave up on it pretty quickly .....

8. Nov 16, 2019 #8

bshef

bshef

bshef

Highland Meadow Vineyard

Update on my pawpaw wine. I started it on 9/12/19. 9 lbs, 3 gallons of must. Racked out of primary on 9/20 and ended up with 2 gallons and 3/4. Added 1 pt water and 1pt grapefruit juice to the 3/4 gallon. Had 3 gallons again. Racked on 10/19. Resulted in 2 gallons. Taste was nothing but alcohol. Racked today to 1 3/4 gallons. Taste is starting to develop. Much better than the cheap Pinot Grigio that I was using for top up in my dandelion batch. I’m optimistic.

9. Nov 27, 2019 #9

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Just a Member

Thanks for the notice @Johnd.
    I've made both fig and pawpaw. Pawpaw is far better in my opinion. I've used 5#/gallon. Get the seeds out. You'll need an acid adjustment, try 50/50 citric/tartaric or straight tartaric, aim for 3.2-3.3 range on pH (I didn't get a TA but I'm guessing 7.5-8 range). Backsweeten it a little. I have some in the freezer, need to make another batch this winter.

Johnd likes this.