any good fig wine recipes out there?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine newbee

Reaction score
I had an outstanding fig harvest last year, and am now wondering if I should use some of it for wine. I've made wines with mead, grapes (Muscadines) and paw paws, so now .... time to branch out.

Figs're pretty sweet, so there's a sugar-addition question about the fermentation, in my mind.

Does anybody have experience with this, and maybe can offer some insights/suggestions/warnings? The best yeast? Workable wts of the fruit/sugar? Etc.

Thx much for any ideas/guidance on it ....

Mitch

I made a fig batch this year and regret wasting the figs. It is a lovely color but has a serious VA problem. Strangely no mothering or serious mycoderma so I assume the VA set in during primary. I did have a little film of mycoderma but not enough to result in this serious a defect. I've added some oak chips to see if I can mellow it out. I don't have a filter for sterile filtering so right now I'm just messing about.
For two gallons in primary, I used 8 lbs of frozen figs, 2 lbs plus 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 t peptic enzyme and water for two gallons. I used EC1118 and had a great fermentation. I lost about 1/2 gallon of sediment. I think I should have sulfated at the start because I think the fruit flies had infected the figs before they were picked. I stupidly thought freezing would kill the acetic acid bacteria but apparently not.
I'm not sure I'll try again.
The stuff you see at the top and in the bottom is the oak.

Attachments

• Fig wine.jpg
    Fig wine.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 8
OK -- thx, V. Yeah, really nice color. But ... what is "VA"? And what is "mothering"? I don't know much of the jargon .....

Mitch

Vinegar or Volatile Acidity is VA, The "mother" is the vinegar culture that collects on the bottom of the fermenter or bottle or vessel. Mycoderma is a bacteria that turns wine to vinegar. Fruit flies carry the bacteria so I assume they had infected the fruit on the tree.

I tried figs several years ago... it did not make a good wine at first, or second...but it is getting better, but it's been over 3 years and just now getting acceptable. After I had made it and it was not that great, I did a lot of searching and most everyone who made it said to wait years for it to improve. The one bit of good info I saw, and still have not tried it, was to pick completely ripe fruit, fruit that is almost mush on the tree, (I think they said it was even starting to attract flies), but get completely ripe figs (or what I would call overly ripe) and make the wine with those. I made mine from figs that I would normally pick for fig preserves. I don't plan to do it again (very messy ferment with a lot of "figmush"), but good luck, do a lot of research, and go for it. (Also, I did a 5 gallon batch and would recommend starting at one gallon if you're going to try it). All the info is on this forum somewhere. I just found it to be a lot of effort with little return. (Fig preserves are so good I had a thought that if they were cooked first, to remove some of that astriengcy, maybe the wine would be better??) Good luck and let us know if you find something that works.

Hi, Fence. I haven't given up on the idea (totally), but most of what I've read in The Forum seems to be warning me. If the old hands have a rough time making a good go of it, I'm pretty sure I can't count on my beginner's luck. Food for thought .....Thx much for the feedback.

Mitch

My figs are so precious and so good as preserves and canned that it seemed like a waste to use them in wine, so I'm in the same camp as Fencepost. I plan to use my next crop to make homemade fig newtons and enjoy with a nice dry red wine.

A major idea, Vines; preserves I've never done. Lots easier, less-time-consuming, and better chance of success than wine. And ... I know more people who'd like fig preserves than fig wine. Obliged ....

Mitch

Do try the fig newtons. Unreal taste! Just Google a recipe.
Hint for preserves, don't use any pectin or you get fig paste at best and fig concrete at worst. Great flavor but tough to spread.

Mitch, give it a go! There are many options to move it in the right direction... maybe pick and let them ripen in the house until they are syrupy sweet then make the wine. If you find something that works let us know (and who knows, I may try again, as the guidance with the very ripe figs was that it was drinkable in months, not years). Another recommendation, if you want something that is very nice to drink, and is ready fast, try Danger Daves, dragon blood recipe. I've done several times with different fruit, mostly with blackberries (as that's what I grow) and it is a crowd favorite. Good luck, it's a great hobby and was nice to have the wine during the pandemic downtime!

Latest posts

Back