Paint Chips off hand corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redskins

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of wine last night and noticed that some of the bottles had little red particles floating inside them when held up to the light. It is the paint from the hand corker. It's not alot and i would still drink them but i think i will buy a hand pourer that has a filter on it.

Has anyone else seen the red paint chip off hand corkers? Would what you do?

Would they use lead paint in something used to make wine? Also its not really chips of paint but just a few tiny specks in some of the bottles. I wouldnt think that would be enough to do any damage. And if i am going to use this from the link below when i go to drink it, they will probably get removed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U85UGG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
It means your corker is slightly out of alignmenmt. I had the same problem and had to tap it with a hammer so that it centered .properly. It was very easy

Agree with wade, check the corker's alignment.

I would not worry too much over just a couple a micr flakes of paint. I doubt that they would contain lead as a corker is meant to handle a food product. I would just let the flakes settle, then decant the wine or pour through a micro mesh before you serve.

I looked at the corker briefly from the underside and it does look like the post that drives the cork is offset to the side a little. Ill tap it with a hammer next time before i bottle in a couple weeks. Thanks everyone :br

Latest posts

Back