Our luck has run out........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Rocky is talking about this one as its making news over here also due to it being close to the nuclear facility!

The Cerro Grande fire back in 2000 came within 100yds of the Labs Plutonium processing facility. The facility is all concrete and will not burn. These were mainly spot fires that were quickly put out. It certainly makes for excitement thats for sure. They have done so much forest thinning on all the labs tech areas that there really is not many trees left around those critical areas that could burn.

The anti nuke groups try and make a big deal about waste drums that are stored in large domed holding areas like they would immediately explode if fire came within 100yds. They won't. There is noting inside that would explode. We reprocess all HE or burn it. The drum storage facility is 1 mile from White Rock and I sleep very well at night. There is just not enough fuel for a wild fire to do much damage to that storage facility.

A wind blown spot fire could land and catch some old dead and down Pinon pine that died during the long drought that helped to fuel the Cerro grande fire but that could be put out quickly.The lab even went so far as to mulch up (years ago now) all those trees that died from the drought back in 2000.

They also could spray the drums with fire retardant foam that would stick and give yet another layer of protection besides a sealed metal drum.

So Mike, You still able to stay at home or have they made you leave for awhile???

BOB

We are home but its not like you can really relax much........ I am trying to stay busy doing small odd jobs I have been putting off around the house. SWMBO is wanting me it start on the hall bathroom remodel!
smiley35.gif

Are you kidding me! Way too hard to concentrate on a big job like that with all this going on knowing we could still be evac'ed at any time.....

ibglowin said:
We are home but its not like you can really relax much........ I am trying to stay busy doing small odd jobs I have been putting off around the house. SWMBO is wanting me it start on the hall bathroom remodel!
smiley35.gif

Are you kidding me! Way too hard to concentrate on a big job like that with all this going on knowing we could still be evac'ed at any time.....

A new bathroom to show in case there is a fire..kinda like when your mother always told you to wear clean underware in case you were in an accident. I'd probably crap my pants any ways:)

I think you should have a bottle of wine (or two) and try to ignore what you can't do anything about. Sucks that you are in this position, would hate to be in your shoes.

Had one of my Sauv Blanc's with a Ceasar Salad. Was pretty darn good.

No structures lost still. Its up to 90,000 acres now. Tomorrow the winds will pick up and be out of the West which could push it into the townsite. Could make for an exciting day of firefighting.

The TV crews are now getting bored as the Lab is safe and no nuke materials are burning. They try their hardest to start a controversy where this is none so they can sell print or whatever. Loved Brian William's tonight. "Los Alamos Nuclear Weapons Laboratory"....... Geez yea it pays the bills but we are "Los Alamos NATIONAL Laboratory". We do a shat load more than nukes guys.

We just won a R&D 100 Award for a new technology that would make a disaster like last years Deepwater Horizon oil spill an impossibility ever again. Did anyone see any press about that?

Nope, won't sell papers........

I caught that "Los Alamos Nuclear Weapons Lab" on the NBC "NEWS" -- man, it was like the world was coming to an end if that fire went just a little further -- My uncle worked there years ago and I remember in the late 50's (when Cal was at the lab) it was a pride and joy.
I almost figured they were going to show your avatar just before they went to commercial! (Gag me...)
smiley11.gif

They hold a press conference everyday at noon that is carried live on the local ABQ TV stations. 95% of the questions every day is about the above ground waste barrels. Over and over again they ask the same questions.

If they can't spin some sensational story out of that those barrels then this is just another wildfire (which it is for the most part)

But they really seem to want to turn it into a US version of Fukushima.......

BartReeder said:
And if it bleeds radioactive waste, that's even better, even if it doesn't rhyme!

Except how many of you ever heard about the leaking underground water pipes from Vermont Yankee. Radiation was detected from leaking underground pipes and it took them months to find, dig up and fix the leak. This was all going on at the same time the plant was up for renewal of its license. I wish I had one tenth of the money they poured into advertising to support the plant. They are still doing so and it is up to the Vt State legislature for the final approval and it still isn't sure which way it will go. It is the same model nuclear plant that failed in Japan this year with the earthquake and sunami. They say that doesn't matter because there can never be a sunami in Vt. The plant is only about 400 ft above sea level, so you never know!

If the press really wants to drum a more "credible" possible nuke disaster they need look no further than Nebraska's Fort Calhoun which is basically one step away from being under water......

Haven't heard much about it at all however.

110616_nuclearplant-flooding.grid-8x2.jpg

The plant looks like a tsunami is hitting it. Guess reporters don't want to go to Nebraska?

So Mike, no "drum meltdowns" in the making?
smiley15.gif

Tony

Here is a photo taken yesterday of Area G. The area the reporters are trying their hardest to spin into a potential nuke disaster. Which of these 2 pics looks more like a disaster fixing to happen.....
smiley5.gif

20110630_194049_Area_G.jpg

HA! You sound in a pretty good mood. Must be OK there. I will leave San Francisco tomorrow back to GA and will have a look south and see if I can see you.

Shoule be visible depending on what side of the plane you are sitting on.

We actually had a nice sunset tonight!

Our sunsets are over Los Alamos to the West.

It looked like it was a very good firefighting day today!
smiley4.gif

Back