Our luck has run out........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Smokes!
smokey-bear-only-you.jpg

I remember flying into LA with the big fire 4-5 years ago. Looks like that did from a plane.

Hope you guys don't have any issues or evacs!!
Maybe someone will send you some rain.

Mike, I sure wish I could send some rain out to that direction! Unfortunately, that is the direction our weather comes from. We have had lots of rain but it was much needed as we were in a severe drought. I live surrounded by National forest so fire is a constant worry!. Glad you aren't in any danger YET!

It blew up again yesterday. We had a few errands to run up in town and stopped by to see some friends and by the time we got back to the house the winds and shifted and dispersed the smoke cloud to the point that is wasn't as impressive a site as it was 3 hours earlier. It was like a huge atom bomb had gone off. Dense dark grey smoke at the base that turned pure white at the upper end. The tops had to be up in the 30,000 ft range, just amazing (and scary) to see. Its over 7000 acres and around 10% contained. Forecast is for temps to cool over the next week from close to 100 to around 90. They say once this high pressure moves out it will open the door to moisture to move up from Mexico and start our traditional summer monsoon season. Lets hope it does.

I can't help but think of the contrasts. Out of control fires in some area and poor fivebk sitting in 4 or 5 feet of water. And now North
Dakota about to disappear. What State do you live in, fivebk? My prayers are with you.

The weather is indeed messed up. Hopefully it will get back to somewhat normal.

I hope the fires die down for you. I remember last year when there were huge forst fires a ways up into Canada and we would have smoke hazy days for days on end. It seems like that one lasted months or certainly weeks at least. You would be looking all around for what was burning and it was hundreds of miles away. It can make it hard to breath and there were warnings for anyone with any health problems to stay inside.

Barney, I live ( lived ) right on the Missouri/ Iowa border. I'd send mike some water, but shipping costs would be a b#tch!!!!!!

BOB
smiley36.gif

Whatever the shipping costs are bOB, i'LL PAY IT..SEND IY ON BUDDY !! It so dry here nowthe cows are givng powdered milk.

UPDATE:

Yesterday at 1:00PM a fire started up in the Jemez mountains above Los ALamos. We are under voluntary evacuation at the moment. The winds have headed straight at the laboratory as well as where I live in White Rock just a few miles down from Los Alamos proper. Yesterday afternoon we had burnt embers falling all over the place. We spent last night packing the four P's and W. People, Pets, Papers, Pictures and of course WINE........

The lab is closed today. Many people headed out last night already. Trying not to panic but there is only one road into town and out right now. They say flames were shooting upwards of 500 feet into the air and I believe it by looking at the footage from helicopters last night. They say its already at 6000 acres in less than 24 hours.

They have a webcam at the top of the ski hill that was horrifying to watch the flames all last night.

Pajarito Webcam (Click on Snow Report/Webcam top)

Los Alamos Evacuation

Suppose to be hot and windy again today.

We will head to Santa fe if we evacuate.Trying to water everything as much as possible today. Say a prayer (or two).

All for now.

20110627_090557_IMG_0762.jpg

Back yard looking up at the smoke and blocked out sun.

20110627_090612_IMG_0766.jpg

We finally got some rain this past weekend. Of course it started right after hubby picked up a new bike, so all we could do was look at the bike. Planned on kayaking also but with lightening in the area that got put on hold as well. Usually I would be upset but right now I'm just happy we finally got the much needed rain.

Here is hoping the weather brings rain to those in need and sunny skies comes to those with too much of the wet stuff.

Mike I was wondering if you were affected by that fire. Good luck and stay safe.

God speed, Mike. I can't imagine being in line of such a raging fire.

Doubt you are in front of a computer at the moment, but keep us posted when you can.

Mike, First and foremost " STAY SAFE " My prayers are now sent your way along with some rain I hope.

BOB

Thanks everybody, were watering stuff like crazy trying to get finished packing and will pack the cars in preparation for what this afternoon/evening may bring. So glad we didn't remodel the kitchen just yet....... LOL

I have 6 cases of very expensive commercial wine packed in their shippers, all the pics, papers pets are ready to go.

Watching the news and hoping for the best.

Remember the Dixon's Apple Orchard pics and post I made last Fall. We are hearing its been burned to the ground already.......

Back to packing, will keep you posted when I can.

Holly Smokes! (no pun intended!) Get your A** out of there!! That is scary! I am praying for you along with everyone else, Mike!

Back