Orange wine fermentation didn't start

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just in case there's some interest, I thought I'd report back that I just tried my tomato wine (mentioned in this thread) for the first time today. I have to confess I was expecting it to taste like ****, but I am surprised that it is very good. I like it very much. It was not easy to make, but I have learned how to do it better next time. I was thinking I would give up on country wines and stick to beer brewing only, but will def make some more tomato wine. I used baking yeast and didn't have a clarifier. However, I do like the taste even though it's a tad cloudy. If the recipe's of interest, let me know. Will update again after I get to the orange wine.

Tomato is one wine (among many) I have not yet tried to make. I'd be curious about your recipe. Did you use water or only the juice extracted from the fruit?

Canned tomato and water. Also, start the fermentation in a larger vessel. Mine overflowed because of the vigorous start. Also, there were a lot of solids to remove. Might be worth liquidizing the tomato pulp.

Recipe - 4.5L+ (6 bottles) of tomato wine

Tomato pulp 6 cans
2 tbsp lemon juice
1kg sugar
4gm yeast
2 peas of Vegemite
boiled cooled water to 4.5L+
(Pectinase clarifier)

boil 3-4 litres of water and cool

boil tomatoes in 1-2L water, dissolve sugar, add LJ

pour 1L of water into fermentation jar, add tomato mixture, top up with water to 4.5L

Heat a cup of water, dissolve a tsp sugar and vegemite, let it cool till tepid, mix in yeast, set aside

When the mixture in the jar is tepid, add the yeast mixture + pectinase and stir

Cap and attach airlock

After fermentation ends, rack into clean 5L jar.

Then apply time and patience.

After it's clear, bottle through a filter paper in funnel and wait a few weeks for improvement before drinking.

Several years ago when I had an overabundance of tomatoes I made tomato wine. I didn't care for the wine I made with ripe tomatoes. The taste of tomatoes in wine just didn't appeal to me. I used it in cooking which was o.k. At the end of the season I made a green tomato wine. The smell of the fermenting wine was pretty bad and I almost tossed the batch before it was finished. The wine turned out to be a nice white wine with no hint of green tomato. No one could guess that it was made with green tomato.

Mary Lou

OK . Now I am very intrigued. I know what Vegemite is (I prefer Marmite) and I know what a pea is but what is a pea of Vegemite? Is that a volume? And what is it doing in the recipe? Is that simply in place of nutrient? And for tomato wine, what yeast would you suggest

I did use Vegemite as a nutrient when making this wine. That was before you advised me how to make a nutrient, Bernard. "Pea" is a means of describing a volume. A piece about the size of a garden pea.

As for yeast, I used baking yeast as it was all I had at the time.

Latest posts

Back