one step vs. pot meta for sanitizing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
So I used to always use potassium metabisulphite for all my sanitizing and bottle sanitizing but the smell can be overwhelming and I found it was slightly raising my SO2 levels more than I preferred. I bought a jar of one step which I seem to like better already, but I am curious if there are any downsides? It seems cheaper too. The only weird thing is if I don't rinse (which you aren't suppose to), it leaves a "slimy film" on the equipment. Can this be used to my bottle tree/sprayer like to pot meta would? Thanks

I wouldn't. It taste like soap, taste some and see if you want that in your wine.

DoctorCAD said:
I wouldn't. It taste like soap, taste some and see if you want that in your wine.

So is there another good option? I certainly doesn't like the skunkiness of too much sulfite either.

I think a friend of mine that brews uses Starsan. Not sure how that measures up comparatively.

One step is a cleaner not a sanitizer. Use K-Meta, Star San or Iodophor, they are sanitizers.
I have a card posted in the store from the maker of Iodophor that says : Cleaners are not sanitizers, sanitizers are not cleaners.

I have used One-Step" No-Rinse Sanitizer"
As a cleaner and sanitizer for over 8 years and never had an issue.

I clean all equipment before and after use.
I use it to clean bottles prior to bottling.

The only issue I have had is if I dont do the math correctly and have too much sanitizer, which leaves a few white crystals in the bottles/equipment. I just add a touch of water to ride the white stuff and move on.

I think of it this way, people have been drinking wine for thousands if not billions of years and how much did they sanitize.

Not to mention they drink wine all the time on Game of Thrones, and you never see any of them get sick from bad wine!

Latest posts

Back