On track or not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flbama

Junior
Reaction score
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Is my wine stuck! I started with juice (Sangiovese) 3 ½ weeks ago and unfortunately, didn’t have a hydrometer at that time to take an initial reading. It’s already been racked once. About 5 days ago, I moved it from an area that was keeping the juice a constant 67 to a different area that now keeps it at 70/71 thinking it might be better. My SG is at 1.007 and doesn’t seem to be moving. Pardon my ignorance, I’m a rookie) but if it’s over 1.000, doesn’t that mean there’s still sugar in the juice and the yeast hasn’t completed its work. Below 1.000 is my goal, correct?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />[/B]

That is correct. Was this a kit or just juice? Also what yeast did you use. It is possible that if the brix was really high and you used a weak tolerance yeast, it could be as low as it will go. Without an initial reading you have no way of knowing. I would make a starter of 1116 yeast (Lalvin). That one will finish it up for you.

I went the natural or wild yeast route. Should I leave it or is it too late to add the yeast you mentioned?

I would still add it. I like reds dry as a bone. (except Port)

I am curious why you went the "natural yeast" route?

This is the problem sometimes when going the natural yeast way and why I do not advise it. Like I said on my forum you will have to make a starter and slowly introduce some of your wine into it to acclimate this yeast to the high abv you already have.

Rookie mistake. My father has made wine in the past and said you didn't need to add. Won't go that route again.

It can be done but like mother nature is very unpredictable and does what it wants and you also have no to influence what profile you want like you can by choosing a yeast that will accentuate this.

You could leave the wine the way it is, but it would be off dry, bordering on sweet. You take your chances with wild yeast. You can however lessen the chances by knowing the specifice gravity before starting it. By knowing how much sugar, you can tell how much alcohol is in it. If you have enough for 10% ABV, no problem usually. If however you have brix for 14% ABV and your yeast dies off at 12, you end up where you are now. The yeast I suggested is known for it's ability to overcome wild yeasts and help finish the wine up to dry.
Good luck.

Not a big fan of very dry wines. Prefer pinot niors or malbec. Will your suggestion of the adding the Lalvin bring me to an extemely dry wine. My apologies, it's my first wine and I didn't have much time to research. My father brough me a 6 gallon bucket of Sangiovese juice and said...."hey, Iknow last year, you said you were interested in making wine and the juice was in so I grabbed you a bucket."

Ahhhh

But.....

Pinot Noir and Malbec are both very dry wines, so sounds like you have varietals you like in reality.

Those wines are on sorta opposite extremes as far as tannins go which is interesting.Most PN's are rather soft tannin and most Malbec are big tannic wines that could saw through a steak with out batting an eye.

A normal Sangiovese is usually pretty soft/medium in tannin so you should like it if you give it enough time to age and get it fermented to dry.

I would follow Appleman's advice and see if you can get it to finish out.

Those 2 wines you like are very dry wines, just not as much body as the Sangiovese. Sangiovese has a medium body while the other 2 area little lighter. You arent far off from those.

Had a problem myself. Had two carboys treated them differently. One got lalvin ec118 with yeast nutrient. The other I started the yeast with water and sugar. Both worked. Had the juice about a little over week before it sttarted. Seems okay today

I added more yeast a weekago and still .....nothing. SG still at 1.007. Airlock has no activity so I'm guessing I will just hae a low alcolol sweet wine. My Brother has 5 gallons of Merlot that was started at the same time. He just checked SG and he is at .996 Would it make sense to try to combine them and make a merlot/san giovese blend or leave mine as a lesson learned?

is there any chance that you added any kmeta or *anything* else between your picking up the product from your supplier and taking it home?

my local brew shop didn't have the specific yeast but recommended a redstar champagne yeast as it can handle the existing alcohol. I added it last week and still don't have any change or activity in my carboy. My brother started a merlot at the same time and just reached .996. Would it make sense to blend our two wines for a happy mix of Sangiovese/Merlot offsetting some of his dryness with some of my sweetness?

if you wish to do a mix otherwise known as a blend..then do a trial of a bottle or a half bottle..wait a month or two to fully integrate and then decide if its a taste you would all the way with

i am still curious about something..did you add k meta or anything else that you have not mentioned here?

Also did you rehydrate the yeast or just stir it in from the pack?

When trying to get a stuck fermentation going again its best to give the yeast a good head start by rehydrating them first in something like Go-Ferm.

No, I didn't add k-meta. If I had to guess, I think I racked too early and dumped too much of my viable yeast. Rookie mistake i guess. I did rehydrate the yeast. I used warm water @ 105 degrees per packet instruction.

flbama said:
Not a big fan of very dry wines.  Prefer pinot niors or malbec.  Will your suggestion of the adding the Lalvin bring me to an extemely dry wine.  My apologies, it's my first wine and I didn't have much time to research.  My father brough me a 6 gallon bucket of Sangiovese juice and said...."hey, I know last year, you said you were interested in making wine and the juice was in so I grabbed you a bucket."
This is interesting to know and your dad is very good that he gifted you this bucket. I am so very excited to make a wine and I will make it once surely, else you just let me know about your way after making a wine.

Latest posts

Back