OMG....Where has my wine gone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysfoot

Reaction score
Hi,
Im making 30 bottles of Vintners wine my winexperts and i'm on the last stage just before bottling, the wine was a little cloudy left it for another 7 days like it said to do, i then popped into my local wine brewing shop and she said leave it another 7 days if its still cloudy but this time give it a good stir which i did.

Now today when i went to bottle my wine, iam missing 6 litres.
Where has it gone, has it evaporated ?

6 litres cannot have leaked as its kept on bare floorboards and these floorboards would have been soaked

Ive not seen the wine for 7 days since the last time i stirred and there was 23 litres last week, and no, no one has drank it i can assure you of that

Its a mystery, please help

I guess that was the "angel's portion," then. ;)

Sounds to me like somebody's been sampling.

Seriously no one has stolen my wine, should it be kept in a cool place as its kept at about 22 degress
I just cant believe it,
There must be a small leak somewhere, surley it hasnt evaporated

How big are the Mosquitoes in your area? Have you seen any that just fly around in circles or into walls?

was it stoppered with an airlock in place, and was the airlock filled?

My parents had this happen once when my brothers and I were much younger and still living at home. To this day we still swear that we know nothing! ::

This thread had me LOL! on the remarks.

I do know that there is evaporation because I keep my hydrometer in the primary pail. And on smaller batches after a few days the hydrometer no longer floats and is touching the bottom. Took me a couple of days to figure that out when the reading was not dropping. I removed the hydrometer and tested in the vial and bingo, it had been dropping.

I am not sure about 6 liters. Maybe it is very dry where you have it?

Call Ghost Busters immediately!!!
Either that or huge fruit flies.

Just kidding. There is no way 6 liters could evaporate that fast.

Is there a jokster in your midst?

has my husband been at your house at all? If he has I have a pretty good guess as to where your wine has gone. The same place that mine goes! I too have checked for leaks and made sure the stoppers were firmly in place, I even had others come over to check and see if they could see where the wine went to but the more we look the more our wine disapears.

:slp Yeah someone is pilfering wine. That is ALOT of wine, 8 bottles to be exact. It must have been good! :br

has my husband been at your house at all? If he has I have a pretty good guess as to where your wine has gone. The same place that mine goes! I too have checked for leaks and made sure the stoppers were firmly in place, I even had others come over to check and see if they could see where the wine went to but the more we look the more our wine disapears.

Hahahaha! The only one leaking is yer hubby!

Reminds me of the old joke where a drunk was at the bar drinking. Then going to the restroom, then coming back and drinking. Finally, he orders another beer, takes it with him to the restroom, comes back with it empty. Then another, same thing. And another.

The bartender is getting curious, so he asks," What are you doing with those beers in there?"

The drunk says, "I am throwing them in the urinal!"

"But why?" the barkeep asks.

"Cuz I am sick and tired of being the middleman!"

:)

Actually the same thing happens here. I have always attributed it to winegremlins. Today it mite be lepricons (sp) seeing as how it their day. Arne.

Well if I were you I'd keep my eye on that wine thief.
They are always looking for a bigger role in wine making, ever since knocking off the turkey basters; they've been out of control.
I don't think they like being teased, when you use them as racking pawns; just to give all the wine to the hydrometer gang for SG's.
So when no one is looking they get some back...:dg

Last edited:
have no doubts, someone took wine from your stash, this much wine would never have evaporated even if you did leave the airlock off, with all due respect now it's time to do abit of investagating or for a better word------------------- interagating

luck on solving the dissapearance of your wine

My parents had this happen once when my brothers and I were much younger and still living at home. To this day we still swear that we know nothing! ::

Well I think it's time you came clean. Make a big deal out of it. Gift wrap a few bottles of your home made wine and present it to them. Put a nice note or label on it begging for forgiveness. Trust me not a day gose by without them wondering about it. I went ahead and made a label for you if it's ok?

You can add the type of wine, abv and bottle size if needed.

Wine type here T/L
Imsorry.jpg

ABV here........................................Size bottle here

Last edited:
I always wondered why they called it a WINE THIEF (LOL)
Easy to use wine thief. Does just what its called...steals wine out of the carboy (quote ) Maybe ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back