OMG It Is Happening Again!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, today is bottling. Roughly 14 gallons of the bubbly blend going into lovely green champagne bottles topped with crown caps.

The starting brix was 23.7 (SG 1.100) and the final gravity with temperature correction is .995.

ABV is roughly 13.8%. I plan on carbing up to 6 volumes of CO2 using yeast.

Welcome back Seth, it has been awhile since you have been here.

The starting brix was 23.7 (SG 1.100) and the final gravity with temperature correction is .995.

ABV is roughly 13.8%. I plan on carbing up to 6 volumes of CO2 using yeast.

Congrats, Seth! So, it has been just over a year in production and now you have reached the most exciting time, the bottling and tasting.

How does that ABV affect the taste? From what it looks, your wine's acidity is high and the sugar is low, so with the elevated alcohol and carbonation, I wonder if it is one of those wines that "bite". I would assume you didn't let it go through MLF.

Also, you say you will not dosage with sugar syrup, right?

Thanks for posting on your progress step by step. I will not hold back that I am really inspired to try this on my own as a result of following this thread.

Happy Holidays!

Welcome back Seth, it has been awhile since you have been here.

Thanks, grad school has been busy.

Congrats, Seth! So, it has been just over a year in production and now you have reached the most exciting time, the bottling and tasting.

How does that ABV affect the taste? From what it looks, your wine's acidity is high and the sugar is low, so with the elevated alcohol and carbonation, I wonder if it is one of those wines that "bite". I would assume you didn't let it go through MLF.

Also, you say you will not dosage with sugar syrup, right?

Thanks for posting on your progress step by step. I will not hold back that I am really inspired to try this on my own as a result of following this thread.

Happy Holidays!

Thanks, this guy has been quite the adventure. From when I tried it still, the ABV is not really showing through really strong. Could be that the ABV is lower than estimated based on the listed brix that came on the buckets. When I tried it still, the acid was a bit intense, but I am hoping that it will be about right for a dry crisp sparkling wine.

By dosage, I assume you mean backsweeten after clearing the bottles of yeast? At this moment, I don't plan on disgorging unless it turns out that the yeast does not settle well or if it really gets kicked up in the wine when I open it. However, if I end up tasting a bottle or two and the acidity is just way out of place, I would not be opposed to adding a bit of sugar back to it. If I ended up doing that, I would also go ahead and disgorge all of the sparkling wine.

I am glad you enjoyed reading, I will try and post when first tasting is done. I assume this should be in around 6 weeks, to allow the wine to fully carbonate and settle out.

I am glad you enjoyed reading, I will try and post when first tasting is done. I assume this should be in around 6 weeks, to allow the wine to fully carbonate and settle out.

Thanks, I look forward to your tasting notes!

Latest posts

Back