OMG It Is Happening Again!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
Now, enough of the dramatic title... I finally got my hands on 10 gallons of voigner and 5 gallons of gewurtz from this Fall's harvest in washington. I plan on making at least half of this into a sparkling wine blend and perhaps leave the other half still. More pictures and test results will follow!

Sounds cool! Will you be bottle-fermenting it, riddling, disgorging, and dosaging your sparkling wine, or do you intend to carbonate it before bottling? I'll look forward to your pictures and results, as I'd love to see this process done step-by-step in a non-commercial setting. Good luck!

I will either use encapsulated yeast to try and make my life easier, or I will go through the whole disgorging process. I am not sure which path I will follow quite yet.

As I was pouring the voigner into the bucket it fizzed a good bit, I wonder if fermentation might have already gotten underway a bit... I went ahead and added 50 ppm sulfite into the must to try and seize up any kind of wild fermentation that might be going on. I currently have a starter of 58w3 building up that I re hydrated in go ferm evolution and got it whirring away on the stir plate with a bit of the must in it. I will pitch that in the morning.

YEAST CHOICE

"58W3 was isolated, studied and selected during a five-year research project by the INRA in Colmar (Alsace), France in collaboration with Gresser Oenology. The goal of this selection program was to find dominant natural yeast that would enhance spicy, floral and fruit descriptors in aromatic white varietals such as Gew�rztraminer and Pinot gris. Unique to the 58W3 is its ability to contribute an overall well-balanced mouthfeel and minimize the development of bitter compounds that are associated with more basic ‘work horse’ yeasts. Due to its fermentation kinetics, especially in high potential alcohol juices, a balanced nutrient strategy and good fermentation practices should be followed."

YEAST DERIVED NUTRIENTS

Here be one of my yeast derived nutrients. It is supposed to increase mouth feel, reduce dry perception, astringency and bitterness as well as promote ripe fruit aromas. I plan on adding this at the beginning of fermentation. At a dose of .3 g/l. (18 grams)

http://www.lallemandwine.com/catalo...activity_image_1237288589_Noblesse noir 2.pdf

My other yeast derived nutrient is opti-white. I plan on using .25 g/l at the start (15 grams) to give me some oxidation protection and help preserve some fruitiness and .25g/l at the end of fermentation (15 grams) to help simulate yeast aging ( like what is done inside of champagne bottles).

Opti-WHITE® is certified organic by OMRI. Lallemand introduced this natural yeast derivative nutrient for use in white wine production after an extensive three-year research program. When added to the juice at the onset of fermentation, Opti-WHITE enhances smoothness, helps avoid browning from oxidation and protects fresh aromas during aging. Opti-WHITE is made using a specific production process that results in a yeast de*rivative rich in polysaccharides and high in anti-oxidant peptides (glutathione). These anti-oxidative properties work synergistically with SO2 allowing the winemaker to potentially lower the SO2 dosage. Opti-WHITE may also be added in the last stages of alcoholic fermentation to help bring out flavor profiles often associated with aging on lees.

NUTRIENT SCHEDULE

Since I really do not know how much YAN is in this must I will supplement it with 175 mg/l YAN from fermaid O. I figure this should be enough to get me through fermentation even if the YAN is low at say like 100 mg/l, but not be way too off the mark if it is pretty good at 200 mg/l to start with.

175mg/l = .04*(mg/L)*FermaidO

So, I need to add 4.375 grams of fermaid O per liter of wine. Since I have about 60 liters this comes out to be 262 grams of fermaid O spread out over the end of lag phase, the 1/3 and 1/2 sugar breaks. Ie. 88 grams at each phase.

And here are the pictures as promised.

Opening all of these buckets was mildly labor intensive.

So here we can see that 66% of the must is at 24.6 brix and 4.35 g/l while 33% of it is at 22.6 brix and 7.5 g/l acid. I project that the blend will be around 23.7 brix with a TA of 5.34. I will go ahead and add acid to what I predict will bring me up to 11 g/l TA and will measure tomorrow and go from there. Around 338 grams of tartaric acid. If this takes me too high I will do MLF like they do in France sometimes.

Here is a picture of our lovely yeasty beasties getting up and ready to play.

And finnally the intesting part, the must in the giant 20 gallon bucket of doom inside of its temperature control unit.

More pictures and details will come as they are available.

Also, as always advice and comments are always wanted.

Last edited:
That's awesome! I like how you efficiently squeezed that 20 gallon bucket into the freezer. :D Do you control the temperature with a thermostat or just by opening the door?

Do you plan to end it dry, off-dry or sweet?

By the way, do they really make their sparkling wines undergo MLF in France when the acid is too high? I would never have thought of this, hadn't you mentioned it. I thought MLF in white/sparkling wines was restricted to mitigate full-bodiness in wines like Chardonnay.

Thanks for the detailed start.

That's awesome! I like how you efficiently squeezed that 20 gallon bucket into the freezer. :D Do you control the temperature with a thermostat or just by opening the door?

Do you plan to end it dry, off-dry or sweet?

By the way, do they really make their sparkling wines undergo MLF in France when the acid is too high? I would never have thought of this, hadn't you mentioned it. I thought MLF in white/sparkling wines was restricted to mitigate full-bodiness in wines like Chardonnay.

Thanks for the detailed start.

Ha, it barely fit, but I got it in there. I control the temperature with a temperature controlled which is rigged to the probe inside of the stainless thermowell inside of the must. When the temperature gets too high, it kicks on the freezer until the must temp gets back down to where I want it.

I plan on taking it dry, but if it taste like it needs some sugar to balance it after aging for a year or so I will add sugar to balance it out.

They do it when their acid is too high. The French grapes tend to be higher in acid than the grapes on the westcoast, so to get similar TA and the such they do MLF sometimes. Typically, MLF is not done on aromatic whites since it can take away from the aromatic center of them.. But, who said you couldn't if you wanted too.....

MLF is common on most reds and chardonnays since it is good from a stability perspective and also since the flavor profile that evolves from it is generally seen as beneficial for these wines ( depending on the kind of chard you are making).

If you want some more reading, give this PDF a read. I will be reading it through when I get a chance to further expand my knowledge of the process before I get way too far into it.

http://www.apps.fst.vt.edu/extension/enology/downloads/463-017.pdf

The yeast strain I am using is good down to 12 C. So, I think I will ferment it at 13 C. Ie, 55 F, after the end of lag phase.

Looks like juice buckets from M&M?

Do their buckets come with the brix, ph, ta numbers, or is this actually frozen must/grapes?
Either way I imagine shipping is up hill even to TN?

Yup they are M&M. Their buckets come with the numbers listed on them, but yes they are actual real frozen juice, must, and or grapes depending on what you order from them.

The shipping was not too bad on them, came out to like $30 a bucket for the shipping if I remember correctly.. Now, if you get a pallet load then things get cheaper.

Yup they are M&M. Their buckets come with the numbers listed on them, but yes they are actual real frozen juice, must, and or grapes depending on what you order from them.

The shipping was not too bad on them, came out to like $30 a bucket for the shipping if I remember correctly.. Now, if you get a pallet load then things get cheaper.

What brand was the juice bucket and how much?
I've never seen juice buckets with the numbers on them, that's good.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

What brand was the juice bucket and how much?
I've never seen juice buckets with the numbers on them, that's good.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Pretty sure, brand is not quite the right word but from the label it would appear that it came from two mountain wineries vines. So, looking back on my bank statement it looks like with tax and shipping 15.75 gallons of juice from these years harvest ended up costing me $465.. Which is not quite cheap, but when you look at the end of the day that I will have spent around $500 for what will hopefully be some top quality product, I am not complaining too much. Ie, bottle cost of around $6.66.

If you compare it to an eclipse gerwurtz kit

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/german-mosel-valley-gewurztraminer-eclipse.html

You are at $540 bucks for three kits. Once you do tax and shipping I would not be surprised if your cost came out to $640. Bottle cost of $8.53, not counting any additions or tweaks you might have in mind. And lets assume you get 5 gallons from each one, you are already over what I will have spent before even thinking about tax and shipping. Plus, when you do juice for a white wine you get complete control ( as much as nature allows) over the fermentation process. Which is something that I find very important and satisfying.

Ha, it barely fit, but I got it in there. I control the temperature with a temperature controlled which is rigged to the probe inside of the stainless thermowell inside of the must. When the temperature gets too high, it kicks on the freezer until the must temp gets back down to where I want it.

I plan on taking it dry, but if it taste like it needs some sugar to balance it after aging for a year or so I will add sugar to balance it out.

They do it when their acid is too high. The French grapes tend to be higher in acid than the grapes on the westcoast, so to get similar TA and the such they do MLF sometimes. Typically, MLF is not done on aromatic whites since it can take away from the aromatic center of them.. But, who said you couldn't if you wanted too.....

MLF is common on most reds and chardonnays since it is good from a stability perspective and also since the flavor profile that evolves from it is generally seen as beneficial for these wines ( depending on the kind of chard you are making).

If you want some more reading, give this PDF a read. I will be reading it through when I get a chance to further expand my knowledge of the process before I get way too far into it.

http://www.apps.fst.vt.edu/extension/enology/downloads/463-017.pdf

Thanks very much for that article. I feel like I could expand my knowledge on the methodology, although making sparkling wine is beyond my reach at the moment, both due to lack of space for special equipment and inexperience. But, maybe some day...

Looks like you have spent a pretty penny on those buckets of juice, but I totally agree with you, if you end up with a high quality product at the price that still beats the store/winery price, why not indeed. Now that I remember, my rationale for wine making at home (when I started with nothing but a carboy and a mesh bag :re) was beating the store prices with cheap home made wine. But, over the years I learned to compromise the two, understanding that cheap inferior fruit cannot be turned into a great wine, with great equipment or otherwise.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that article. I feel like I could expand my knowledge on the methodology, although making sparkling wine is beyond my reach at the moment, both due to lack of space for special equipment and inexperience. But, maybe some day...

Looks like you have spent a pretty penny on those buckets of juice, but I totally agree with you, if you end up with a high quality product at the price that still beats the store/winery price, why not indeed. Now that I remember, my rationale for wine making at home (when I started with nothing but a carboy and a mesh bag :re) was beating the store prices with cheap home made wine. But, over the years I learned to compromise the two, understanding that cheap inferior fruit cannot be turned into a great wine, with great equipment or otherwise.

Very true no amount of equipment can take low quality fruit and turn it into gold.. However, a skilled winemaker can do his best to do well with what he gets... even if the quality is subpar.

Actually, to be honest, I never have looked at winemaking from the perspective of I want to make wine at home so I can beat the store prices. To me, it has always been about challenging myself and trying to make better wine. Or trying out new technique and becoming more knowledgeable.

I do though strive to make as high quality wine as I can, and if I can make wine that in my mind matches or surpasses a good bottle of wine from the store, then I will smile to myself, pat myself on the shoulder and try and keep moving upward and onward.

Very true no amount of equipment can take low quality fruit and turn it into gold.. However, a skilled winemaker can do his best to do well with what he gets... even if the quality is subpar.

Actually, to be honest, I never have looked at winemaking from the perspective of I want to make wine at home so I can beat the store prices. To me, it has always been about challenging myself and trying to make better wine. Or trying out new technique and becoming more knowledgeable.

I do though strive to make as high quality wine as I can, and if I can make wine that in my mind matches or surpasses a good bottle of wine from the store, then I will smile to myself, pat myself on the shoulder and try and keep moving upward and onward.

Oh, absolutely, I quite share your sentiment. Currently I too treat wine crafting more as a piece of work that I am very proud of when I do it right, which is why I am improving both the equipment inventory and mastering the skill. I was just remarking how far I was from this mental state when I initially started. :b

Ah I understand. I would be willing to venture ( not sure if enough people are still around from when I first started here) to say that it would be quite evident from my older post that my take on wine has definitely changed drastically over time.

I measured the gravity this morning, it indicated 20 brix. I beleive this is a result to some fermentation after I pitched the yeast last night or more likely from before the juice was frozen. I will use my predicted brix of 23.7 (SG 1.100) as the starting point.

Now for the nutrient schedule

1.1-.992= .108
.108/3=.036
.108/2=.054

88 grams fermaid O at end of lag ( now)

88 grams fermaid O at 1/3 sugar break 1.072
88 grams fermaid O at 1.2 sugar break 1.046

I checked the PH this morning after the addition, it looks like we are down to 2.95. The TA I measured to be right around 8 g/l. I believe that this means that I might have some undissolved acid in the must or perhaps the indications written on the buckets were not quite that accurate. Either way, with the PH down to 2.95 I will not be adding any more acid since the must seemed to have a nice acidic twang to it.

Curious to see how your Gewurtz turns out(if you do some of it alone). I have recently tried it by Chateau Ste. Michelle. I really like their 2012 vintage. About the only white I care for.

You know, I recently made a WE SI Gewurtz kit and just for the sake of it I checked PH and it was also very low in the 2.7x during ferment and then ended around 2.9x

Well, I am fermenting a blend, so I won't be able to tell you how the Gewurtz tuns out on its own... But, I am hoping for some good gerwurtz character in the wine.. So we shall see. I my self have been exploring whites a bit more as of recently and I have been pleasantly surprised by the level of personality some of the dry and off dry whites have.

You know, I recently made a WE SI Gewurtz kit and just for the sake of it I checked PH and it was also very low in the 2.7x during ferment and then ended around 2.9x

Yeah, I have been doing some reading about sparkling wine PH and TA, and for the most part it does not seem that I am way too far off the mark with where I am at right now. So long as I don't go through MLF or loose too much acid from cold stabilization.

Latest posts

Back